Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

spotting scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: spotting scopes

Bruce.... At 64 I still see pretty well thanks to Lasic surgery. That makes me have to wear readers when I read but thats pretty common in old farts (like me) anyway. My distance vision is excellent and no, low light isn't an issue with me. My hunting and range sessions are all in normal daylight. If it's an early hunt (like whitetails on my property), I already know their habits and where they will be so I don't need a spotter in that instance.

I guess my prerequisites are as follows...

Needs to be fairly light and compact but needs to accept a tripod or window mount
Needs to be klutz proof and pretty durable.
I prefer an armor coated optic
95% of the time I won't be over 300 yards in viewing distance an d 95% of the time it will be in controlled (range) conditions.
I need enough resolution/clarity to view a 22 caliber impact at 100 yards on a target.

My old Bushy handles all those things but at 30 years old, things are getting worn out. One adjustment for magnification on it, thats it. I like it simple.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Bronze Member

Don't over look the Vortex. They have come a long way in quality. I recently had a chance to compare a top of the line $2,600 Swarovski right next to a Vortex Razor HD and the Razor was just as good if not better and was $1,000 less! They also have a lower end that is very good at the ranges you are talking about.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Bronze Member

thanks for the help i went with the zeiss
Old 09-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

I am tagging along as I need to make a spotting scope purchase as well. I have become a full-on believer in high-end riflescopes. I am struggling to do the same with a spotter (hard to drop the $$$$, but I will if it provides tangible value).

I need something for both LR target shooting and hunting (out to 1000). Hunting will be a mix of both evaluating animals as well as spotting shots (with a partner, not alone). Assume mostly prone with some bench mixed in. I would really like a technical explanation of what I gain when I go from $1K to $2K to $3K along with what manufacturer stands out in each price range. I've seen Bruce's posts on other topics so my expectations are really high! No pressure

Thanks in advance - In all seriousness, I really appreciate the technical insight into sport optics as I know what I like in-use, but have no clue what makes it that way.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Platinum Member

I guess thats my questions too. What makes a 500 buck optic different from a 1000 dollar and so on ans so forth and not manufacturers hype either but the 'real deal'.

My ancient Bushnell (Basch and Lomb) is and always has been very clear and reliable and I'm sure very ancient in technical advancement compared to present day offerings, but I prefer simple over complex. Complex breaks, simple don't.

I have no desire to pay for a name if I can get a quality optic with longevity for less.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Good questions that I'd like to tag along for answers. Thank you.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I guess thats my questions too. What makes a 500 buck optic different from a 1000 dollar and so on ans so forth and not manufacturers hype either but the 'real deal'.

My ancient Bushnell (Basch and Lomb) is and always has been very clear and reliable and I'm sure very ancient in technical advancement compared to present day offerings, but I prefer simple over complex. Complex breaks, simple don't.

I have no desire to pay for a name if I can get a quality optic with longevity for less.
Take a long look at one of these...