Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Spotting scope tripods for backpack hunting...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 01:26 AM
Platinum Member

Spotting scope tripods for backpack hunting...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ni_Tripod.html

What do you guys think of this in terms of a compromise of weight, price, size and features to hold a 26 oz. spotting scope? It's got a pistol grip head that can be all axis or at the push of a button lets you pan side to side. Seems like that would be a nice feature for covering a hillside.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 07-30-2007, 05:14 AM
Gold Member

Looks like a real good tripod. I have had a few, and you generally can't go wrong with a manfrotto. I currently use a slik 500 with pan handle. It really is a boarderline packable scope. This tripod is the best I've seen that is packable from them. It seems awfully cheap.

Cheers
Old 08-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Just got this tripod. For the price, it seems quite lightweight and very adaptable. The pistol grip with the video/still switchable function head and the 3 angle selector switch for legs gives it great versitility and function in a lightweight package. When in video mode, the head can only pan side to side or pivot up and down, which is great for carefully covering a hillside while spotting. The head and 'center pole' it rests on can be inverted so that the head/pistol grip is below the intersection of the legs making for a great, lightweight tripod for macro shots with the camera (not LRH, I know, but a great funtion of a tripod and something I always look for). The five section legs allow it to function as a tabletop tripod or nearly 4' high extended. There's even a bubble level to boot. All in all a hard to beat compromise between function, weight and price. Check it out.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 08-03-2007, 10:15 AM

I think you just about answered your own question. Looks really decent and its a beat price.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like a nice system. Mine is the old Slik 450 G. My partner broke the head system last coyote season, but nice thing about Slik is their CS. I called and they're just sending me the parts to fix it myself. It's a cheap unit really, but very compact, and just tall enuf for me to use it from sitting, and pans well. It holds my portable WEaver Big Eyes steady, and that's good enuf for me.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:54 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscoyote View Post
Looks like a nice system. Mine is the old Slik 450 G. My partner broke the head system last coyote season, but nice thing about Slik is their CS. I called and they're just sending me the parts to fix it myself. It's a cheap unit really, but very compact, and just tall enuf for me to use it from sitting, and pans well. It holds my portable WEaver Big Eyes steady, and that's good enuf for me.
Steve i wonder how much larger that tripod is comapred to our Slik's