Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Spotting Scope suggestions needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Spotting Scope suggestions needed.

Well, Kirby tells me that the parts for my 338AM are either in the shop or being shipped (finally!).

So now I need to get a spotting scope. I currently have Zeiss 10x40BAT bino's that I use for most spotting. I also have the Swaro Laser Range Finder. The rifle will have a NF 5.5x15x50 on top.

I don't have a spotting scope and I and my hunting buddy both wear glasses.

We will be hunting western colorado in November for Elk, but the scope will obviously be used for all my long range endeavors.

I appreciate all your suggestions.

Thanks,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

I have a Kowa 820 with a 21XWA and a 32X WA lens. It is heavy for extended back packing. I can count elk tines at ranges past 2500 yards. If I had it to do all over again I would get the angled body instead of the straight one (perhaps if I had the angled body I would say the opposite).
The large objective lens is just the same function as a rifle scope, it allows you to see better earlier and later when light is poor.

I wear glass and the Kowa is just fine for me.

The zoom lenses are usually not so clear once you get off center and for a spotting scope it is good to be able to use all of your FOV so you do less moving and shifting of the scope. The reason to have two lenses is so when mirage gets bad you can drop down to the lower power one and still function.

A critical component is the tripod. I have a cheap one and it shakes and trembles in the slightest breeze.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Silver Member

AJ, I got great information from this forum:

Spotting Scopes and Monoculars

Optics planet handles most of the high range optics and they give pretty unbiased info based upon the price range you give them. I cross checked with some pretty knowledgable friends and they agreed the advice I got at OpticsPlanet was spot on.

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 08-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

thx

Thanks Bob I was thinking about the Kowa 66mm, its a lot lighter than your beast!

Thanks Bill, great site at first glance, I'll spend some time there tonight.

Thanks guys
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Well, I've never been one to refuse to pull the trigger.

I ordered the Kowa 663 ED with the Z9B lens.

I'm sure it will serve my purpose well.

Thanks for the input you guys,

AJ