Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Spotting Scope (Straight or Angled)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
We aren't fighting, we're trying to get together for a brew!

I'm confused?

AJ
Yeah... what he said !

LRH member #23
Old 12-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

I was fortunate enough to have a friend that owned a very nice angled eyepiece scope and used it several times at the range and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Cut to the first time I/we tried to use it at long range in the field... We both became so frustrated trying to get it "on" what we had spotted with our binoculars that he dang near threw it away in a fit of rage.

When we got back from that trip we both ordered "straight scopes" and have both been happy since.

It's just not easy, intuitive, or natural to look down to see forward and takes forever to get it lined up, especially when you have your mind on a thousand things other than wrestling with a spotting scope made for birders.

The one I settled on is a Swarovski 20-60x65 and I'm thrilled with it.

The bigger 80mm and larger ones look and work great until you try to pack them or wrestle them in and out of a pickup in the field.

Hope this helps....
$bob$
Old 12-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

I have a straight one wife bought me ten yrs ago. It's a pain in the a.. , but I use it every day and like most about it. My next one will be angled.

NRA Life Member
Old 12-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Silver Member

bought a Leica apo-televid 77 angled with the 20x60 eye piece back in the latter 90's .also went bogen tri-pod and bogen trigger swivel head,i pack it hunting and too the range, buy the best you can and cry once.
as we all come to learn theres a learning curve to every thing we do.
regards jjmp
Old 12-31-2007, 12:01 PM
Silver Member

I found that in the field when using an angled spotting scope I would pan out to the minimum power setting, get centered on the object of interest, THEN pan in for a closer look.
I do agree with a straight bodied unit this process is a little quicker.
Good luck and happy new year.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member