Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Spotting Scope (Straight or Angled)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleB View Post
AJ's comments dont make any sense to me at all, but if it works for you keep doing it.

UB

I'll try to explain. An angled scope lets me sit in a more comfortable position when scoping 'up', I don't have to continually have my head tilted up. The scope I use has a rotating tripod ring, so I can look from above the scope, below it or from the side to get a comfortable position. With a straight scope, you don't have any options, you point it at your target and look through it. You have to be 'behind' the scope regardless of the terrain etc. An angled scope also allows the use of a shorter tripod when I look 'down' into the scope.

The straight scopes are definitely 'easier' to point at a target until you get used to the angled scope.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for all of your replies. Im a little new at this so i want to make sure i get the right gear the first time.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Catshooter, there is 1 ;-)

AJ
I knew you would be the first... Why did I know you would be the first;)

Lemme 'splain.

"My experence"... when I'm in the field, and I see something with my bins, lets say near a white rock out far, and I want a better view, with my STRAIGHT scope, a Pentax 20x60-80mm, it has a built in open gun sight on it, and I aim that sight at the white rock, and look in the little glass window - and there it is in the scope - just focus, and adjust power.

I could NEVER do that when I had the angled version - I was constantly sweeping the area to find the subject.

Even at 100 yds at the range, it was a task to find the targets I was shooting at with the angled scope.

Now, ol' AJ, he's a unique case - cus he's lookin' "up" instead of straight ahead... so he sets his scope so he looks down, to see up - probably shooting squirrels out of trees ;)

LRH member #23

Last edited by CatShooter; 12-04-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatShooter View Post
I knew you would be the first... Why did I know you would be the first;)

Now, ol' AJ, he's a unique case - cus he's lookin' "up" instead of straight ahead... so he sets his scope so he looks down, to see up - probably shooting squirrels out of trees ;)

Hey, CS. I'm near Boston for a couple days. I'd buy you a drink so we could discuss in person if you were in the area.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hey, CS. I'm near Boston for a couple days. I'd buy you a drink so we could discuss in person if you were in the area.

AJ
I'm in the middle of Connecticut, near Hartford.

Wanna meet somewhere in the middle?

LRH member #23
Old 12-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatShooter View Post
I'm in the middle of Connecticut, near Hartford.

Wanna meet somewhere in the middle?

Sure, I'm in Peobody Ma, Whats in the middle and how far? How about dinner tonight or tomorrow?

AJ

Old 12-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Sure, I'm in Peobody Ma, Whats in the middle and how far? How about dinner tonight or tomorrow?

AJ
Are you going to be there longer... tonight and tomorrow are short notice.

LRH member #23