Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Spotting Scope (Straight or Angled)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

Spotting Scope (Straight or Angled)

What is your choice for hunting purposes.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinnergetter View Post
What is your choice for hunting purposes.
Straight... Angled is fine for target and match shooting, but for the field, they will drive you crazy - I have the tee shirt.

I was going to upgrade to an $1,100 scope for field use, and was advised to get angled.
I bought an angled scope for $1,100, and took it to the field, and it was a lead weight - I was lucky to find a serious match shooter that had the same scope, but straight, and we traded even.

I was ready to sell it at a loss to get a straight version for the field.

Most of the better straight scopes have some kinda open sight on the barrel like a pistol sight, to get you lined up fast - on an angled scope, you have to search (and search and search and...) through the eye piece to find what you want to look at.

I'm sure you will now get 5 recommendations for angled ;) ;) ;)

LRH member #23
Old 12-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Platinum Member

I like angled, because I hunt from low to high, so the scope is below me and I can scope above (did that make sense?)

It is a learning experience in finding what you want the first few times you use an angled scope. If I used a straight scope, I would need a much taller tripod and that means added weight.

Just my experience.

Catshooter, there is 1 ;-)

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-03-2007, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

I use my Leica APO 77 for both the 1K matches and in the field --- it is straight and the angled will drive you nuts in the field...
Old 12-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Gold Member

Dont know if youve seen the post on the new USO spotting scopes or not,they look pretty nice.Straight body 15-40X60 FFP.It'll be interesting this coming year as theyre making one with a LRF.

USO Spotting Scope(Pics) - Sniper's Hide Forums
Old 12-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Gold Member

I completely agree with catshooter on this, an angled spotting scope is of little value if any out in the field unless you are bird watching or looking at the stars.
AJ's comments dont make any sense to me at all, but if it works for you keep doing it.
IMO there is not even a debate for long range hunting spotting scope straight.
UB
Old 12-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Bronze Member

I'm waiting for USO to come out with the LRF version... A long tough wait it will be.

Straight all the way for field use.