Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

spotting scope stand?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2003, 08:47 PM
Bronze Member

Re: spotting scope stand?

Milanuk,
contact me offline if you want to see the new Military Spec. Ops. sniper stand that Ewing is making.
A mutual friend of ours, M700-Guy, has seen my stands.
I have 2 of them personally.
I have known Al Ewing for about 3 years, and I started working for him about 3 months ago to get the stands out to the Military.
If anyone else wants to see them send me an E-mail with "Ewing stands" in the subject area. That way I don't think it's more junk mail.
Ewing can make almost any combination of stand that is needed. From NRA Highpower to the Spec. Ops. and anything in between by changing the legs and or the blocks to steal to add weight.
Goodluck. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
RedMan*

"Ewing scope stands,
simply the best!"
Old 04-12-2003, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

I still haven't found an ideal spotting scope stand, am interested in the Ewing just mentioned. The "mickey-mouse" tripods I referred to are the ones that most optics companies sell with their spotting scopes - they are all made in the same place and have different brand names on them (I have identical stands from Bushnell, Redfield and Simmons). Three folding legs, one bolt holds the scope on to a very wiggly platform that is adjusted up and down with a little wheel situated under it.

Problem is finding something that is either small enough to leave on the scope when in your pack, or real quick to hook-up to.
If you want to see really costy camera/spotting scope tripods, check out the Gitzos, they make Bogen/Manfrotos seem low-cost but they are superb.

I have not found the perfect tripod so maybe Milanuk's topic will help us all. My needs are for prone shooting at steel for the spotter/shooter thing where we trade off shooting and spotting every twenty shots or so. What I am looking for is a small, rugged tripod that will hook to the scope really quick, and have precise adjustments for up and down. Height is the question - for low-prone we don't need much height, for hunting in rocks or vegetation you might need enough height so that you can sit behind the scope.

For some types of hunting we carry a big tripod that we can stand behind, depends on the terrain and critter. Hunting for caribou in the arctic or N. Quebec is an example of where we sometimes left the spotting scope on a fairly big camera tripod for hours and took turns standing or sitting behind it.
Old 04-13-2003, 01:58 AM

Redman,
Is his "new" spotter's stand head any different than the one I got off of him 3 or so years ago? I'll see if I can post a pic...360 degree scope rotation in the vertical plane.

I sent Al a pic some friends sent me of the handy work of a Barrett in Afghanistan a few months back. Al replied "...and just think, I'm supplying the spotting scope stand to go with each of their Barrett 50 cal's."

Tell Al, I still need a stand that will fold up a bit more compact, weighs under 10 lbs and but will still raise up to be used Standing.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:28 AM
Bronze Member

ChrisF,
If I send you a picture can you post it for me.
I have the digital camera but not the know how or the hardware to post it here. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
IanM, I just sent you 2 pictures.
I also took another shot of it with it broke down. This is the Pic. that I would like to have posted if anyone here can bail me out. When I send the Pic. to (?)you I will give a description of what is what & how it operates.
Thanks, RedMan*
Old 04-13-2003, 02:42 PM

Redman,
Sure send the pics to me and I'll post them. Please tell Uncle Al that he needs to get off his but with Scopestands.com
Old 04-13-2003, 03:04 PM
Bronze Member

ChrisF,
Al told me to tell ya to take care of that little one, shoot X's and to leave the tired old man alone. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]He was laughing when I read your post to him on the phone.
I'll send you some pictures.
Thanks,
RedMan*
Old 04-13-2003, 10:18 PM
Bronze Member

Guys,
I just posted my spare scope stand in the for sale section. These stands are very cool.
I am getting money together to purchase Mr. Jamison's V.S.308. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Thanks for your interest.
RedMan*