Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Spotting scope angled or straight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 10:22 PM
Bronze Member

Spotting scope angled or straight?

I am looking to buy my first spotting scope and was wondering which model would be best for me, I would think that most of the work would be out off a truck or a tripod.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Spotting scope angled or straight?

get the angled one. It only takes a few days to get use to finding the game with the angled spotting scope. The advantage is like with mine i set it next to me when sitting i look through my bi-nocks when i need it i can change the eye peace so i can look with out moving also i can look over around rocks or trees. also on step angles you can turn it to be easier on the neck to look through.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:27 AM
Platinum Member

I have a Zeiss and a Leica, both 10-60x straight that I use for spotting bullet holes out to 500M in groundhog matches. I have looked thru angled lens spotters, and it is more difficult and takes longer to find the target thru them. On top of both my straight tubes, there is a small tit, much like a front rifle sight, that you put it on the object you are spotting, look thru the lens and it is always right on the mark. With an angled lens, I am always moving the tripod adjustments back and forth until I find it.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene View Post
i have a zeiss and a leica, both 10-60x straight that i use for spotting bullet holes out to 500m in groundhog matches. I have looked thru angled lens spotters, and it is more difficult and takes longer to find the target thru them. On top of both my straight tubes, there is a small tit, much like a front rifle sight, that you put it on the object you are spotting, look thru the lens and it is always right on the mark. With an angled lens, i am always moving the tripod adjustments back and forth until i find it.
x2.

Joseph