Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Slipping Burris Signature rings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

Re: Slipping Burris Signature rings?

I have Burris Signature rings on a 300 RUM with a S & B scope. Spent half a day at the shooting range when I first got them and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the thing sighted in. The scope was moving in the rings. I was shooting a 3500 fps 165 grain bullet that produced significant recoil. I cured the problem by applying automotive spray trim adhesive to the top portion of the plastic inserts. I then assembled things and let it set for a week. I would also recommend double dove tail rings. The easiest way to tell if the scope is slipping is put a pencil mark on the top of the scope next to the front of the ring. Check it after two or three shots. The pencil mark on my gun moved away from the ring about 1/32" with each shot.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

I'll second what holmes said CLEAN them first. I had a friend that installed a set without cleaning them first on a 7mm STW, they slipped. Took them back off and cleaned them and they have been fine every since.
Chris
Old 08-09-2004, 11:03 PM
Silver Member

I clean the contact surface of the inserts with thinner, scuff them up with 220 grit, and only use matt finish scopes. As added insurance, on my big kicking, big scoped rifles, I add a scope level behind the rear scope ring, slid up tight to the ring and tightened.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:15 PM
Writers Guild

Awesome rings. Zippo for slippage..period.

I would go with the Weaver/Zee style with a hard kicker. The turn in rings will eventually wear and create slop which you don't need. that is a common problem with turn in rings from any manufacturer.

I also use their reg. Burris w/o inserts and they work just fine too.
Jerry
Old 08-29-2004, 06:19 PM
Bronze Member

Ive got a set on a 300jarret and on a 300 rum neither have slipped , but i took them off of the 300rum and when i reinstalled the heads would pop off of the screws i had several do this. I looked at the instructions and maybe i should have done that first they give an inch lb torque setting that seemed rather low but must be important. I replaced the screws and have not had any problems since, i love the rings. The screws when they were punched for the toquex recess were almost punched through the bottom of the screw head, and the metal was paper thin. ebb