Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Slipping Burris Signature rings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Bronze Member

Slipping Burris Signature rings?

I have a friend who asked me to install his scope on his new 700 Remington in 7mm RUM. (Its a sporter barrel model, mounted on a lightweight synthetic stock - can you say OUCH!)

I will probably go with a "turn-in" one piece base for this setup, along with an ocular pad to help buffer the dreaded "scope eye brow cut".

The scope he chose for it is a Leupold Vari-X III, 3.5x10x50. He isn't into long range stuff, so I don't need sloping bases, or anything like that.

I used the Burris Signature rings (the ones with the self aligning bushings)on my last scope mount and really liked them, and have had zero problems with them, but it was on a 22-250 with a lot less recoil.

1) Has anyone who has used the Burris Signature rings had them slip under recoil?

I want to keep the scope as low as possible, maybe 1/8" above the barrel at the bell end (50mm, non AO)

2) What scope ring height should I use?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Slipping Burris Signature rings?

I have the Burris Signature rings on a custom 7STW. With about 1,000 rounds down the tube I have had no problems whatsoever.

Other than the fact that they look a little bulky, I think that they are a great design that can solve/prevent many problems.

I have also put them on many other rifles for my shooting buddies and have yet to hear a complaint.

VH
Old 08-07-2004, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

I have them on my 7.82 Warbird and sporter weight 7mm Rem Mag no problems at all. They seem like they would be far less likely to slip than plain steel rings. I would suggest the two piece double dovetail. The two piece bases use all the mounting screw holes and leave more finger room for loading.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Silver Member

I have the weaver style on my 338 Lapua and have not had any problems and don't think i will.IF intsalled probperly and make sure the inserts are lined up i don't think you would have a problem on any gun.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:56 PM

I use them on my .30-'06 and .308 rifles. Never had any problems.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Gold Member

I'll back up what evrybody else said. They are my pick of rings second only to the Badgers.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

I used them for several years on my 375 H&H M70. Scopes ranged from lightweights to mid-weights. No worries at all.

Be sure to clean them initially as they do come a bit greasy from the package.

I've heard of problems in sub-freezing conditions but these accounts have all been anecdotal and I suspect poor rifle maintenance as opposed to insert failure. My experience has been nothing but positive, even in freezing weather.

Whoever first thought of synthetic ring inserts should, in my opinion, receive a Knighthood!

~Holmes