Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Simmions or BSA?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2005, 02:36 PM

Simmions or BSA?

I'm looking to put together a long range hunting rifle. I am trying to figure out which of the following scopes would be best for me. I'm gonna stick the scope on either a Winchester or Marlim rifle. I don't expect to be hitting anything past 1/4 mile or so. The Simmions is a 6-24X50 AO TT. It's on sale at Natchez for $69. Good deal? The BSA is a 8-32X40 Mill dot. It's also TT & AO. It is $79. I don't be knowing if I be better off with something with more mag like the BSA 8-32 vs simmions 6-24 or a bigger X number like the X50 Simmions vs the X40 BSA. Is the mill dot something I should have? I will post the rifle question on the rifle \ caliber forearm. Thank ya all for any assistance ya all can be providing.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Silver Member

Re: Simmions or BSA?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] they will either get darked or cloudy after "18" power.get mildot and hold over cuz you'll be lucky if they track [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] hope you have good eyes,enjoy them while you still have em'.either will surely turn them cross-eyed [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]i was going to get a "cheep" 6x24x42 tasco varmit scope for their target turrets for $79.00 but it too was the same way [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]love these little gremlins......first post so welcome!!! search and read....
Old 04-30-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] they will either get darked or cloudy after "18" power.get mildot and hold over cuz you'll be lucky if they track [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] hope you have good eyes,enjoy them while you still have em'.either will surely turn them cross-eyed [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]i was going to get a "cheep" 6x24x42 tasco varmit scope for their target turrets for $79.00 but it too was the same way [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]love these little gremlins......first post so welcome!!! search and read....

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Tasco's were more expensive than $79! Is Walmart a good place to buy a scope? I bought my Mossberg there 20 years ago. I remember they had scopes there. I don't get into the big city very often. Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-30-2005, 04:19 PM
daveosok

If you plan on shooting 22lr for long range then either will work quite well. IF you plan on putting this on a rifle with any recoil you should save your money and buy something commonly seen on these style weapons.
Not that Simmons or BSA wont make a half way decent scope, na I take that back, they are crap dude just dont waste your money. I cant be sympathetic here to bsa or simmons they are total crap. After a few years of buying crap scopes such as trascho, simmons, and swift I quit wasting my money and bought the higher quality Leupolds, Night Force, Nikkon, Burris, and a few others. If you cant afford the scope you want SAVE for it youll be better off in the end. Did I mention they are TOTAL CRAP? I cant say that enough TOTAL CRAP and yeah youll be turning turrets more than you will be hitting targets if you purchase one of these fine 79 dollar hunks of junk. On the other hand, there is no other hand TOTAL CRAP!!!!
Old 04-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Gold Member

I got three of the tasco's and one bsa they work fine for me.

Keeping the trashcan from flying off in all the wind we are having.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the good information! I just learned that these scopes were made in China. I try to buy American products when ever possible. I've heard that Redfield and Weaver are two good made in America scopes. I wonder if I could pick one up at Kmart or Walmart. Maybe I could find a used one. Thanks again for your help!
Old 05-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

Gar,

Another scope to stay away from is ATN.

For what you would like to spend I would look for a Leupold VX11 (4x, 6x) or old Weaver T16 (prefered) secondhand. They have two great features BSA and the others dont have....reliability and repeatability...... plus good glass...... plus in the case of Leupold a lifetime warranty (dont know on Weaver). A fixed power scope will get the job done.

If you can drop more cash at about $400 you get into "good zoom scopes".

Dont worry if it is not made in the USA, Leupold glass aint. If it says made in Japan is can be very good (thats where Nightforce are from. Maybe someone else will know if the T16 etc were made in the US (I think so).

No harm in getting a decent fixed power scope for now and saving for something better later.

David.