Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Sightron vs. Nightforce vs. Leupold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sightron III vs. Zeiss Conquest or IOR

Members have got me considering Sightron III with their positive comments in this thread.

I'v got a 4.5-14X 44mm Zeiss Conquest and an 3-18X 42mm IOR. I've had a number of Leupolds over the decades. Anybody compared the Sightron III glass to a Zeiss Conquest or 3-18X 42mm IOR scope, so I'd have something to go by for purposes of resolution and light transmission compared to these scopes?
Old 09-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: Sightron vs. Nightforce vs. Leupold

phorwath,

Never looked thru an IOR so I can't help you out there. I've got a friend with the Zeiss 6.5-20x50 and comparing that to my Sightron SIII 6-24x50, I can't tell hardly any difference during the day. I'd have to say flip a coin as to which one was better. Never compared the two at dusk to see if one was better than the other. I do know that he paid over $200. more for his Zeiss than I did for my Sightron. Both scopes tracked right on the money when we performed a box test. Oh, almost forgot, my Sightron had ALOT more elevation adjustment - if I remember correctly his had 65moa, mine had 100.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:44 AM

yea, i also compared my Slll 8-32 with his zeiss 6-20 and we started out on 8x then 12x then 16xthen 20x and there was no clear winner, tracking is absolutely awesome in the sightron, but we didnt check the adjustments in his zeiss, plus i have 76in up/down in an 8-32. i almost forgot me and a friend compared his nightforce br in 8-32 and we both concluded the sightron had better color contrast and the nightforce had a tiny bit of outer edge fuzz and the sightron did not. in conclusion i made a very wise choice. in his opinion he said the extra $600 did not do the nightforce justice plus no side focus either and we both like side focus instead of A/O
sightron has one of the best new scopes out on the market and from reading the reviews i know so plus i own 2 Slll 8-32 and will end up buying 2 more very soon. that should tell ya something.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sightron vs. Zeiss & IOR

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

I'll keep checking for any additional first-hand field comparisons.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

The decision points that will lead me to purchase the Sightron for my next long range rifle will be:

1) Warranty - But the need for such a thing is the pits if failure occurs at or near the season opener.

3) Ability to set the power to 18 to make the mils into 2 moa for yote shooting when there is no time to click.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

I like the look of the Sightron and what I've read about it. But until it gets a reticle that compares to the Nightforce NP-R1, I'll have to pass.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

Something else to consider would be to send your Sightron scope into either T.K. Lee or Bill Ackerman and you could have dots or stadia wires put wherever you wanted. Bill Ackerman is who installs the reticles for Sightron on their 8-32x56 scopes, I know because Sightron gave me his phone number and I gave him a call. Unlike T.K. Lee who will put dots or stadia wires at whatever yardages you want for the load your shooting, Bill Ackerman is set up to put them at MOA. Just something to think about.

Personally, I think its the best of both worlds. The scope on my 300RUM has dots to 800yds, plus M1 turrets on it also. If time is short, I use the dots. If I have plenty of time, need to dial for windage, or its longer than 800yds, then I dial up for the shot. Since I won't have time to send in my new Sightron 6-24x50 before hunting season this year, I'll twist turrets then after hunting season I'll send it in to T.K.Lee to have dots installed for the load I'm shooting in my 338EDGE. Dots will be installed out to 800yds, anything past that I use the turrets. This works great for me as I'm usually hunting the same areas or at least altitudes.