Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Sightron vs. Nightforce vs. Leupold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Gold Member

Re: Sightron vs. Nightforce vs. Leupold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocksdad View Post
XP

Durability and adjustment of clicks: Nightforce and Sightron. Both scopes track very well.

Leupold is not noted for shooting the box well.

Customer Service: Leupold and Sightron

To test customer service , I called Sightron, told them I was leaving for a hunt and had a scope that failed. There response was to next day air a scope to my home at there expense, and told me to return the faulty scope when I returned from the trip. It was a call just to test customer service so now I had to come up with a faulty scope. I just sent the one in I took off and they sent me another new one to replace it. Beat that for CS.

Overall Package

1) Sightron

Good CS
Shoots the box well
Very crisp predictable glass

2) Nightforce (pending what grade of glass you get)

3) Leupold

Lacking glass quality
Doesn't shoot the box well
Good CS

Rob
CSGunWorks only had an issue with part of this post ,I have an issue with the whole thing.
You say that Leupold "Doesn't shoot the box well" that is exactly why I use them is because they DO.
I have one rifle for instance that I have cranked the elevation turret between the 300yd Zero and out to where the turret tops out at past 2000yds at least 100 times and it returns to zero every time (and points inbetween).
While the glass is not perfect I can still see very well out past 2000yds.
If you get close to Utah next summer, lets shoot some box'es.
UB
Old 09-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

Tulku,
When I first heard that Nikon had a scope out w/ED glass, I immediately looked it up to see what the specs were on this new scope. When I read 20moa for total internal adjustment, that ended my curiosity. Thats totally ridiculous, I've never even heard of a scope with that little adjustment. Thats all it took for me to lose interest.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slymule View Post
Tulku,
When I first heard that Nikon had a scope out w/ED glass, I immediately looked it up to see what the specs were on this new scope. When I read 20moa for total internal adjustment, that ended my curiosity. Thats totally ridiculous, I've never even heard of a scope with that little adjustment. Thats all it took for me to lose interest.
Slymule , wow 20 moa ! Thanks for the info. and to ALL who replied . This is one valuable Site for info . The only Reticle I see listed for the Nikon is the BDC which I'm not real keen on for small Varmints . It has always seemed weird that most Scope Companies in effect lose half their Verticle by not providing Reticles with hash marks ( like the NP-R2 ) in the upper half of the Scope View Field !
Old 09-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Gold Member

Unlce B: you are spot on with your post. I have 3 mark 4's and 3 vx3's and all track excellent. Do you think the military would have used them for the last 12 years if they didn't track, I don't think so! So out of six scopes I have not one ever went back.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:23 AM

UB and Links, I'm not getting into a ******* match. All I can tell you you is of the 3 scopes mentioned the Leupold line tracks the worst of the 3. No questions asked. I spend many days a year at several ranges. If you click a NF or Sightron 4 clicks, it moves 4 clicks the first shot. Some of the Leupolds will, some won't, probably a 50/50 split. If you have a hard time with this go to some of the other furums and read a bit. You will find out fast that it's not only me that has this problem.

P.S. I still have Leupold scopes.

Rob
Old 09-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Keep in mind, the Mark 4's have dual erector springs, etc, so I would expect more reliable tracking from them than the hunting scopes.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocksdad View Post
All I can tell you you is of the 3 scopes mentioned the Leupold line tracks the worst of the 3. No questions asked. I spend many days a year at several ranges. If you click a NF or Sightron 4 clicks, it moves 4 clicks the first shot. Some of the Leupolds will, some won't, probably a 50/50 split. If you have a hard time with this go to some of the other furums and read a bit. You will find out fast that it's not only me that has this problem.

P.S. I still have Leupold scopes.

Rob
Appreciate that you were, and are, willing to tell us of your experience with your Leupolds. Obviously they don't all track "perfectly".