Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Sightron vs. Nightforce vs. Leupold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Gold Member

Re: Sightron vs. Nightforce vs. Leupold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kweidner View Post

Mine Are SII and I wish they still made the particular models I have. I wish I had the money to outfit all my guns with them.

Ken
I have several SII Sightron scopes 3 are the 6x24x42 one of which is the new Big Sky as much as I like the standard SII the Big Sky is much better.
Is there something you don't like about the Big Sky scope?

James
Old 09-12-2008, 12:31 PM
SPONSOR

brocksdad,
What about when you add the components of durability, accurate clicks, returning to zero, and customer service?
In other words the total package?
Old 09-12-2008, 02:17 PM

XP

Durability and adjustment of clicks: Nightforce and Sightron. Both scopes track very well.

Leupold is not noted for shooting the box well.

Customer Service: Leupold and Sightron

To test customer service , I called Sightron, told them I was leaving for a hunt and had a scope that failed. There response was to next day air a scope to my home at there expense, and told me to return the faulty scope when I returned from the trip. It was a call just to test customer service so now I had to come up with a faulty scope. I just sent the one in I took off and they sent me another new one to replace it. Beat that for CS.

Overall Package

1) Sightron

Good CS
Shoots the box well
Very crisp predictable glass

2) Nightforce (pending what grade of glass you get)

3) Leupold

Lacking glass quality
Doesn't shoot the box well
Good CS

Rob
Old 09-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Silver Member

xphunter,

Sightron aptly named their turret adjustments Exact-trac. When performing a box test to test for repeatability and returning to zero, the Sightron scopes will return to the EXACT point you started at. Tested mine and it was spot on perfect. My Leupolds are not nearly as good, in fact I've gotten in the habit of going ahead several clicks then backing up to where I wanted to be, to make them function right. For some reason sometimes they seem to hang up and not move if I'm only going one or two clicks. My Sightron scope has always moved with each click.

Customer service from what I have read, being as I've never personally had to send my scope back, anything wrong with your Sightron scope and they just send you a new one - doesn't get any better than that IMHO.

Durability - I can't see any difference between the Leupold and the Sightron scopes. The Nightforce obviously is beefier and is bound to be a tougher scope, but it weighs twice as much also.

My advice is to either find somebody with all three scopes or go to a local sporting goods store. Most of them will let you walk out the door to compare the three of them in sunlight, which will give you a better real life viewing instead of trying them out under flourescent lighting. Time it for around dusk for a real eye opener. Even inside the store you should be able to see that the Sightron is alot brighter and clearer than the Leupold. I think you'll find there's not a hill of beans difference between the Nightforce and the Sightron, and the Sightron is less than half the price. I have nothing against Nightforce scopes but for what they cost I can own two Sightrons, makes it an easy choice for me.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

James,

No, no problems with the SIII. I just bought all of mine before the Big Sky came out. The 4.5 X 14 was bought on a discontinuing close out from McGrafs. They were replacing that model with the Big Sky I believe. I have had the 2 SII 6 X 24s for five or so years. Ones is mounted on my RBA heavy gun bench rig. The other on my 22-250 CZ. The 4.5 X 14 is on my Cooper phoenix in 6.5 X .284. These are the guns that get the most action out of my safe. The Sightrons in general are the way to go. (SUPER CRISP) Folks are right when they say they will return exactly where you started. I have never had one of mine not move. Even when I go 1 click it's dependable and moves. I really like the 1/8 MOA on the 24's. I can get more precise on my zero. I believe one revolution is 7 MOA despite being an 1/8 inch adjustment. I would have to go look for sure.

KEn
Old 09-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocksdad View Post
XP
2) Nightforce (pending what grade of glass you get)

3) Leupold
Lacking glass quality
Doesn't shoot the box well
Good CS
NF pending on the grade of glass? They use the same grade glass from one scope to the next. I have not seen one NF that does not have very good glass and I have looked through a lot. There CS is great also one of the best in the BIZ.

Leupold not tacking is not the norm but I have seen one or two that did not track well, again that is NOT common.

I have not used Sightron.

Mike @ CSGW
Old 09-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

OK guys , let me run one more up the Flagpole . I see Nikon has just introduced a Monarch 8-32X 50 ED Glass , Sidefocus . Anyone care to compare the Optics of this Nikon vs. the Sightron or Nightforce ??? Bottom line so far is that the Sightron looks pretty tempting IF they have a Reticle I like ! I also have to say thatabout 2 years ago , I was comparing a 8-32X NF BR vs. a 12-42X NF BR at the same Mag. and the 12 looked a lot sharper , but that's the only case where I saw a NF that did'nt impress me with its sharpness .