Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Sightron vs. Nightforce vs. Leupold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

Sightron vs. Nightforce vs. Leupold

OK , so here's the question : If I take an 8-32X 56 Sightron S III , Nightforce BR 8-32X 56 , and a LR Leupold 8.5- 25X 50 out to the Prairie Dog Fields on a nice sunny day , and set all three at 25X , how much difference in Optical Resolution / Sharpness am I going to see ??? ..... a whole lot , some , not much , or none ??? It would also be useful if you rated them in order . TIA .
Old 09-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Sightron vs. Nightforce vs. Leupold

Nightfoce Versus sightron! READ THE RESULTS -

Tulku, the above post is a review that I found on 6mmBR website comparing the Nightforce to the Sightron. Thought you might find it interesting.

I've never owned a Nightforce scope to compare the two, but I do own the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 and many Leupold scopes. Compared to my VXIII 4.5-14x40 LR, the Sightron is clearer and brighter, especially in low light. Most of my scopes are either Nikon or Leupolds, but in my opinion the Sightron has the better glass. As money permits I'll be selling off or trading for more of Sightrons latest models, the SIII versions.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulku View Post
OK , so here's the question : If I take an 8-32X 56 Sightron S III , Nightforce BR 8-32X 56 , and a LR Leupold 8.5- 25X 50 out to the Prairie Dog Fields on a nice sunny day , and set all three at 25X , how much difference in Optical Resolution / Sharpness am I going to see ??? ..... a whole lot , some , not much , or none ??? It would also be useful if you rated them in order . TIA .
I must admit that I have not looked at the exact model of Sightron that is in question, with that said the next Sightron that impresses me will be the first. Unless quality control has been miraculously resurrected from Barska level's.
As far as the Nightforce it is very good but I prefer the NXS over the BR model.
The Leupold 8.5x25x50 LR might give up very little to the Nightforce but at half the price is hard to beat.
UB
Old 09-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

UncleB , a few years back , I examined a Sightron ( can't even remember the Power Range ) and thought it was awful . The S III is supposed to be an entirely different animal , but I wanted to get a few opinions from actual users before deciding . I have Leupold LRs , but am investigating the others for general knowledge . I have read several accounts where users thought the BR Optics were better than the NSX . I'm not a knob turner so that is not a big consideration for me . Also since 99% of my shooting is in bright sun , low light performance is not important .
Old 09-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

I own a SIII and a Mark 4. When comparing them they don't, the Sightron has better glass hands down! Now that Sightron has revamped the SIII line and given them enough internal adjustment I thinking of moving all of my optics over to Sightron.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

SlyMule , I read the Report , but did'nt like the testing in low light conditions .......just not my hunting conditions . Would like to just get a few more opinions .
Old 09-10-2008, 02:22 AM
Silver Member

I'll give you an opinion. At the 2007 SHOT, I thought Nightforce and Sightron glass were "Best in Show". When you buy a Sightron, you will likely get the same glass I saw at SHOT. When you buy a Nightforce, chances are you will get another, lower grade of glass. Sightron is probably the best value of the three.

Scott