Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Sightron SIII vs. Leupold VX-3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Bronze Member

Sightron SIII vs. Leupold VX-3

Hey Guys,

I've just completed building a new Savage/Shilen .260 Remington build, and I'm looking to top it with some new optics. It will primarily be a bench gun spending time at 100-700 yards, but may see 1-2 white tail trips a year.

I'm looking for something in the 6-20ish power range, with around 100MOA of internal adjustment. I've got a Vari-X III mounted on a .223 bench gun that I absolutely love. I would buy another, but it doesn't have enough adjustment internally, and it's got the standard hunter turrets.

In the past I've had a VX3 8.5-25x50LRT on a 300 RUM that was a good scope, but it started "boiling" and getting a bad mirage at anything past 20 power in less than perfect conditions. I also felt my older Vari-X III has better optical clarity, with just as precise adjustment.

I had all but settled on a new Leupold VX3 6.5-20x50LRT with a fine duplex reticle, but I've tried to keep an open mind and look at alternatives. To me the Leupold is a constant, a bench mark, and solid glass. That being said, I can't help but think it's slightly overpriced for what you get.

Over the past few days, I've been frantically searching for feedback & reviews on scopes in this relative price range ($700-$1000) with these features.

I've noticed the Sightron SIII series seems to be getting a good bit of publicity on several forums, and I wanted to get some feedback from those that have used them. I have seen them compared to Leupolds, NightForce (BR series mostly), and other high end optics. In most cases the reviews seem to indicate they are better than the Leupold and "on par" with a NightForce BR scope.

I don't have a Sightron dealer close to me, so I was hoping I could get some feedback from those of you with an SIII and other high end optics. What would you do?
Old 04-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: Sightron SIII vs. Leupold VX-3

Not a lot of personal experiance with the Sightron (I dont own one) but I have found even the high end stuff like my Schmidt Benders show a lot of mirage on warmer days get past about 12x and they all get much worse. As for the Luepy, have a few and the are really tough with great glass and the warrenty/repair is first rate.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Silver Member

I would suggest you take a look at some of the earlier threads on here. There's been a lot of input about these scopes and even though I don't own one, after reading dozens of post I'm inclined to get one.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Bronze Member

loosesniper2000, Dig;

Thanks for the replies; I'm surprised I haven't brought down the hosting servers with the number of searches I've done on these forums, and several others. I'm just trying to draw out as much additional content as I can before I drop a good bit of money.

I'm leaning towards the Sightron, but who knows?
Old 04-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

I have an VX3 8.5-25x50 LRT, and an SIII 8-32x56 when they're set on the same magnification I really can't tell you there's a difference. With that said I'm not an optics guy either. I will say there's no sense in spending more than you need too. Don't be afraid of sightron.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

i'm going to be purchasing a 8-32 Sightron soon for my long range gun. i think they are a better scope than Leupold, not to mention cheaper. Kevin Cram on here sells them for as good a price as you're going to find.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Official LRH SPONSOR

+1 for the SIII. I have a 6-24x50 LRMD and have loved it since the day I got it. Awesome tracking and great glass, a very good value. I would put it up against much more expensive scopes. Here is one that you get some free flip up covers with> Long Range Accessories

Shooting and Reloading Accessories
Custom Long Cases too.

Shoot-Long.com

" Life would be quite dull if we limited ourselves only to the practical."