Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Sightron SIII but no zerostop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sightron SIII but no zerostop

My Vortex PST 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA has a zero stop. I used to count clicks for distance and windage. Now I use a Custom Turret for distance and hold for wind.

It is so much easier and faster for me with the zero stop and custom turret. I use my laser rangefinder to get the distance in yards then I dial the turret to the yards then hold for wind and shoot. - - - - - - - - -

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph
Old 12-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Bronze Member

It's only faster dialing back down. Dialing up to make a longer shot is the same.....
Old 12-17-2012, 01:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
It's only faster dialing back down. Dialing up to make a longer shot is the same.....
I don't understand? You do not have to count clicks to dial up for a longer shot. You just turn your turret to the corresponding number for your distance and shoot. The numbers on the custom turret correspond to the arc of the bullet as it goes down range. Mine is calibrated for a 6mm Norma BR. with 105 gr. Berger VLDs. The turret goes to 900 yds. and is dead nuts accurate at every distance to 900 yds. and there are 25 yd. increments in-between every 100 yd. mark.

joseph
Old 12-17-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragman View Post
I have the 10-50 MOA illuminated and I don't need or care for the zerostop in this scope. scope has 10MOA per revolution I have mine set up so that if it's on zero I can't go down another revolution so it's impossible to not know were my zero is. I have 46MOA adjustment up after I set it and re zero'd the scope. I LOVE MINE!!!!
How is the mirage at 50X zoom??
Looking at the same scope but I'd like a first focal plane scope so it may be out.
Looks like it might be a viper instead
Old 12-17-2012, 07:38 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
I don't understand? You do not have to count clicks to dial up for a longer shot. You just turn your turret to the corresponding number for your distance and shoot. The numbers on the custom turret correspond to the arc of the bullet as it goes down range. Mine is calibrated for a 6mm Norma BR. with 105 gr. Berger VLDs. The turret goes to 900 yds. and is dead nuts accurate at every distance to 900 yds. and there are 25 yd. increments in-between every 100 yd. mark.

joseph
Custom turrets are nice to see yardage, but I think a lot of us already have are holdovers memorized. I was actually referencing about the zero stop. Zero stops don't make dialing up any faster, they just make it easier to dial down without using your eyes.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Custom turrets are nice to see yardage, but I think a lot of us already have are holdovers memorized. I was actually referencing about the zero stop. Zero stops don't make dialing up any faster, they just make it easier to dial down without using your eyes.
True but you don't get lost when trying to get back to your original zero with the zero stop.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I got ya now.

joseph