Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Sightron SIII but no zerostop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 01:44 AM
Silver Member

Re: Sightron SIII but no zerostop

I actually called sightron a couple weeks ago and talked to them about this issue. They said they have no plans for a zero stop in the near future. I was told it would be after 2014 before they think about it, and even then, who knows. I was set to get two of these scopes, but after thinking hard about the zero stop, and reading about the glare problem that sightron in known for, Im as confused as an infant in a topless bar. I am trying to tell myself to save a ton of cash and buy the sightron. However, I am also telling myself to just step up and buy the nightforce and be done with it. Damn its hard being bypolar...LOL
Old 12-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkwonder View Post
I actually called sightron a couple weeks ago and talked to them about this issue. They said they have no plans for a zero stop in the near future. I was told it would be after 2014 before they think about it, and even then, who knows. I was set to get two of these scopes, but after thinking hard about the zero stop, and reading about the glare problem that sightron in known for, Im as confused as an infant in a topless bar. I am trying to tell myself to save a ton of cash and buy the sightron. However, I am also telling myself to just step up and buy the nightforce and be done with it. Damn its hard being bypolar...LOL
I felt the same way as you do. I want to save money in long run. If I go plinking/hunting almost every month then I'll buy Nightforce.

I go shooting 2-4 months a year therefore Sightron will do a wonderful job. I do babysit my rifle and scope seriously. I ain't climb over the mountain and jump down 12' cliff, so on....

In my opinion, if I want to sell it in next 3-4 years, I'm sure someone will buy it from me.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

I get a chuckle when I hear/read someone gripping about how a mid level (or lower grade) scope doesn't have a zero stop like the big boy's do. It's like saying I cannot believe my Dodge Ram 1500 doesn't have the turning headlights like my friends $90,000 BMW. You have lived without one for years and now it's a deal breaker of what can be a good piece of equipment. I mean come on, I've read posts about guys complaining about scopes that cost $400 not having one.
Those little lines under the turret (few target/tactical turrets don't have them) are there for and reason and are appropriately named index lines. See picture one. If you still cannot remember, then write it down. See picture two.
My zero is BL2, I turned the turrets to BL4 for dramatics.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Sightron SIII but no zerostop-baseline.jpg   Sightron SIII but no zerostop-baseline-zero.jpg  

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Silver Member

I see a moose at 624 yards and I dial it up to the specific mil number. Shot the moose and it is done for the day. I dial it back to zero. I still feel that I do not "really" need a Zero stop. Hmm?
Old 12-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fear in Accuracy View Post
I see a moose at 624 yards and I dial it up to the specific mil number. Shot the moose and it is done for the day. I dial it back to zero. I still feel that I do not "really" need a Zero stop. Hmm?
I'm a beleiver in the addage you get what you pay for. My shooting partner follows your line of thinking but seems he has a hard time remembering how many revs he turned in the heat of the minute, I just turn mine down till it stops (love my NF) He orderd a new scope NF which he will end up spending more by going the long way around seems you like what you choose, you don't have to convince US.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Bronze Member

On my SIII 8x32, one revolution takes me out past 800 yards. I don't switch from 800+ to 100 enough times in the blink of an eye while hunting to need a zero stop. But.....since it's a MOA scope I know I'm 15" high...........

Zero stop or not....if you don't know where your turret is at.....you don't know where your turret is at.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:44 PM

I have a fix for the problem! Get several 1 1/4 fender washers and a uni bit. Drill out the hole large enough for it to slide over the top part of the scope until it reaches where you are at your zero. { may need to sand the top washer to get final adjustment} and reinstall your adjustment knob. BOOM! Now you have a zero stop. LOL IM JOKING! I have a 10 x 50 also. it works great for what i do.