Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Sightron SIII but no zerostop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

Sightron SIII but no zerostop

I really like Sightron SIII 8x32x56 however it did not come with zerostop, like NightForce.

Do I really need "zero-stop"?
I wondered if I set up the zero at 100 yards and remembered the MOA or MIL number on the turret. (Sightron). When I'm done shooting and I can dialed down to the specific number which is zero for 100 yards. You know what I'm talking about?

For ex. I have a wrench torque and I set up at 90 psi and torque the wheel nuts and I dialed it back to zero after it is done.

I'm using it for F-Class and plinking/deer hunting. I have 6BR custom rifle without scope.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Gold Member

Re: Sightron SIII but no zerostop

that would work. For me though, I'm just as likely to forget howmany clicks I went and have a major problem, that's a big part of the reason I got a scope with a zerostop...if I had a better memory i might not have worried about it
Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Silver Member

you can set the turret to zero if thats what your asking just by loosening whatever is holding it on and moving it. but a zero stop is another matter. optics makers have really been slow to add this feature, IMO hell yes you need it and yes its very very useful. There should not be a scope maker that sells a scope with target turrets that doesn't offer a zero stop option. after trying a nightforce the zero stop function on their scopes is awesome.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fear in Accuracy View Post
I really like Sightron SIII 8x32x56 however it did not come with zerostop, like NightForce.

Do I really need "zero-stop"?
I wondered if I set up the zero at 100 yards and remembered the MOA or MIL number on the turret. (Sightron). When I'm done shooting and I can dialed down to the specific number which is zero for 100 yards. You know what I'm talking about?

For ex. I have a wrench torque and I set up at 90 psi and torque the wheel nuts and I dialed it back to zero after it is done.

I'm using it for F-Class and plinking/deer hunting. I have 6BR custom rifle without scope.
No Zero stop is a deal breaker for me. The dials on the Leupold I use now do not have Zero stop what a pain in the *****. I can't count the times caught up in the excitement of hunting and not dialing back when things are fresh in memory find myself staring at the turret wondering where and the heck is zero or pulling the rifle out of the scabbard and then wondering if where I reset it is "zero"

Oh yeah will never buy another scope without "zero stop"

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 12-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

I have the 10-50 MOA illuminated and I don't need or care for the zerostop in this scope. scope has 10MOA per revolution I have mine set up so that if it's on zero I can't go down another revolution so it's impossible to not know were my zero is. I have 46MOA adjustment up after I set it and re zero'd the scope. I LOVE MINE!!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

I wonder if there are some sort of patent issues with adding this to a scope. vortex and huskemaw use a similar setup that just limits the down travel of the knob either by shims or an adjustable collar. I haven't looked at what S&B does but nightforce is by far and away the best zero stop setup.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Perfect. I can adjust the turret to "0". Not a problem. I can dial it down to "0" and start again.

I believe it is not that hard. I believe I made the right choice. Sightron SIII is the champion.