Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

sightron SIII any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 11:51 PM
Silver Member

sightron SIII any good?

I am in the process of setting up couple guns and getting into long range hunting. I would like to hunt with these scopes, and punch paper out to 1000 yards or so.The sightron SIII line has caught my eye. I was thinking the 6-24x50 for my whitetail beanfield rifle in 6.5x284, and 3.5-10x44 for my 338-06 for elk. I was wondering if there is anything that is better out there for the money. Is there any other scopes out there in this price range that are gonna have better glass in them? I like that these scopes have mildot, with matching reticle. Whts the scoop people?
Old 03-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: sightron SIII any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkwonder View Post
I was wondering if there is anything that is better out there for the money. Is there any other scopes out there in this price range that are gonna have better glass in them?

The SIII is going to be very hard to beat from a "value" perspective. I think the fact that it's frequently been reviewed with, and compared to scopes far above it's price range speaks volumes for it. Yes, I have one. I also have scopes it's been compared with that are more expensive.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=jmason; Yes, I have one. I also have scopes it's been compared with that are more expensive.

so the 64,000 dollar question would be...how does it compare?

my opinion in the medium priced scopes, the S111 is the top of the heap. the thing that's impressive to me about Sightrons in general is the tracking/repeatability. other than Nightforce,when i run a scope through a tracking test, it's the only scope that has passed with flying colors.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewilson View Post

so the 64,000 dollar question would be...how does it compare?

Dave- honestly I can't see the difference in them.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Platinum Member

My rifles currently have Leupold MK4 scopes on them.

My 260 by MCR

My friends have SIII on their rifles. They paid hundred less thatn I did. In a side by side comparison, the SIII is comparable in light transmission and repeatability. The only thing I like more about the MK4 are the M1 turrets and the TMR reticle. Sightron is about to come out with tactical turrets on the SIII scopes.

Sightron is a great choice.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
My rifles currently have Leupold MK4 scopes on them.

My 260 by MCR

My friends have SIII on their rifles. They paid hundred less thatn I did. In a side by side comparison, the SIII is comparable in light transmission and repeatability. The only thing I like more about the MK4 are the M1 turrets and the TMR reticle. Sightron is about to come out with tactical turrets on the SIII scopes.

Sightron is a great choice.

You said that sightron is comeing out with tactical turrets, I take it you mean different ones than what come on the S3 ss 6-24x50 now. This is the scope I am looking at. Are the new turrets going to have a zero stop and turret locks, or what? Thanks
Old 03-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkwonder View Post
You said that sightron is comeing out with tactical turrets, I take it you mean different ones than what come on the S3 ss 6-24x50 now. This is the scope I am looking at. Are the new turrets going to have a zero stop and turret locks, or what? Thanks
Currently, Sightron scopes come with 'target' turrets. Which is to say they have covers that screw on over the elevation and windage turrets. For 2011 they are coming out with a 'tactical' turret that does not have a cover on it. I like the tactical turrets because I don't like the covers on the targets turrets (one more thing to lose or damage).

The other thing that is cool that Sightron is introducing is an MOA reticle rather than mil-dot. I'm not wild about their MOA reticle though as they put a dot in the center of the crosshair. If they develop a reticle that is more to my liking, you can bet that I will sell my MK4s and replace them with SIII. I do not think the new Sightron turrets have zero-stops.

You can see the new 6-24x50 here:

Sightron Riflescopes / Binoculars / Sighting Scopes product pages. SIII Series - SIII SS 6-24X50 LRMOA

You can download their 2011 catalog here:

Sightron Riflescopes, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes & Other Precision Optics - The great wide open just got alot sharper. HOME

Their new scopes are due to be released for sale soon.

You can call Sightron directly (as I did several weeks ago) and get one of their technical experts on the phone. They can go over all the specs of their new scopes in detail. They will also take your suggestions for improvements/preferences.