Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Sightron pics- view thru reticle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 04:34 AM
Silver Member

Sightron pics- view thru reticle

Just thought I would drop in a pic or two of the Sightron S3 6-24x50.

Please bare in mind, it was a very cloudy, misty day- hence the haze in the picture. I used a basic canon digital camera to take the pics and was not able to crank the scope up past 6 power without suffering difficulty getting the pics so I left the scope at 6 power. I thought the 6 power setting was pretty good in itself, the tree line in the distance is 456 yards away. Some scopes wouldn't give as good a picture at 9 power.

I really like this scope in every way, the clicks, the side focus, the long eye relief and wide picture without any large black shadow as found on some cheaper brands. I have not really had a play with the dots yet but will get into it in due course. The rifle belongs to a hunter I have been coaching- here in New Zealand. Rifle is a factory Sendero .300 Winnie. I ground/polished the ali bedding block to stop it from vertical stringing. Apart from that, it has been a straight forwards rifle, very accurate, balances well and seems to produce less recoil than a lot of other rifles- nice stock design and weight well forwards.

Hope the pics are helpful, there seems to be a lot of interest in these scopes at the moment.

(Update- please note- pics of the mil dots on game are on page two of this thread)

Cheers, Nathan.

Last edited by Kiwi Nate; 01-31-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: updated pics
Old 01-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Gold Member

Re: Sightron pics- view thru reticle

Nathan, thanks for sharing the pics. I've got the same scope on my 308 and really like it. Good quality optics and unbelievable repeatability. Spot on for sure.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Gold Member

I think the SIII is alot of bang for the buck in fact one of the best IMO. For me their only downside is reticle choices or should I say that lack of. I like their optics I think they are great and I am ok with a mildot reticle I just wish the dots weren't so big on the SIII. They tend to cover to much of the target at longer distances. I've also heard their warranty is second to none which is nice if you ever need to use it. I've been a pretty big fan of the Bushy 6500 Elite lately, which I would put in the same class as the SIII, but Bushnell's customer service isn't even close to Sightrons.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Gold Member

B23, what do you mean by covering up too much of the target. I've heard others say that, but I'm just not seeing it. The point that is. Am I missing something? I've been shooting some pretty small rocks at distance and it seems fine.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Does anyone have one of the new Vortex Viper 6-24X50mm FFP ? How does it compare to the Sightron III ? The Viper has a great reticule.

joseph
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I think the SIII is alot of bang for the buck in fact one of the best IMO. For me their only downside is reticle choices or should I say that lack of. I like their optics I think they are great and I am ok with a mildot reticle I just wish the dots weren't so big on the SIII. They tend to cover to much of the target at longer distances. I've also heard their warranty is second to none which is nice if you ever need to use it. I've been a pretty big fan of the Bushy 6500 Elite lately, which I would put in the same class as the SIII, but Bushnell's customer service isn't even close to Sightrons.
Generally speaking the dots in a mil-dot scope are .25 mils. Given that, they are generally the same size in all scopes. Of course there are exceptions to this rule.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:46 AM
Silver Member

The dots do "seem" big at first but I believe its more to do with most of us only ever having used the finer duplex style reticles. In the above pic, at 6 power, the dots were indeed large but up at 24 power, it all came together and a dot covered only about 6" of the fence batton at 456 yards.