Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Sightron

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 11:57 PM
Gold Member

Re: Sightron

I have the 6-24 exposed turret Mildot-1/10th mil version, and it is superb. Turrets are snug, not NXS snug, but great none the less. I could see them getting moved, but the force it would take to move them would be enough that you would definately feel it and probably check anyways. And the tracking is 100% dead nuts on point. I have pushed mine to 600yards so far and its perfect. Period.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camshaft View Post
I have pushed mine to 600yards so far and its perfect. Period.
Mine are good out to 1000 yds - no problems. I haven't read of a single incident of poor tracking, or the guts coming unglued under recoil, even on muzzle-braked rifles. I'm sure there are a few out there. I just haven't encountered those reports yet.

The glass in my original SIII was compared side by side with the revered glass in one of my IOR 3-18x42mm scopes. The SIII glass was superior in both light transmission and resolution on targets at 300 yds. Anybody got a bad report on a Sightron SIII? I'm all eyes and ears.

I've compared my SIIIs to my Zeiss Conquest, my IOR, my Leupold LPS, my Leupold VX-3. The SIII was superior to all of them. And it weighs 10-12 oz less than the competition in that 6-24x power range, such as Nightforce, IOR, Vortex Razor, Premier Heritage, etc...
Old 09-14-2011, 01:15 AM
Silver Member

I have the6-24x50 ssiii on my 20 br and I can pick bullet holes at 500m. I prefer it to my mark 4, but not as good for a "carry around" gun as the conquest.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

Hey I love my S3 But you need to check Weaver's new Tactical scopes. Hopefully in next few minutes I'll find another coyote to hate my new scope !
Old 09-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Official LRH SPONSOR

Hey Trublue, I have one left in stock of the 6-24X50 LRMOA. Check it out on my site >Long Range Shooting
I have sold several to guys on this site. Everyone seems to love them.

Thanks

Shooting and Reloading Accessories
Custom Long Cases too.

Shoot-Long.com

" Life would be quite dull if we limited ourselves only to the practical."
Old 10-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Bronze Member

Don't do it! I got a sightron 8-32x56 long range model last year. At first I was excited about the quality of the glass (for the price at least). After 8 months and about 4 times at the range, the elevation turret got completely stuck and I could not make adjustments for long shots. I sent the scope back to the service center for repair, after 6 weeks I called sightron to inquire on my scope. The manager told me that the damage was caused my blunt force and would not be covered by the warranty. I have NEVER even bumped this scope, the rifle is transported and stored in a hard case. Sightron makes a S#@$y product, and they will not stand behind their warranty. Buy a Zeiss, Leupold, or whatever. If you want quality then stay far away from sightron!!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackaj View Post
Don't do it! I got a sightron 8-32x56 long range model last year. At first I was excited about the quality of the glass (for the price at least). After 8 months and about 4 times at the range, the elevation turret got completely stuck and I could not make adjustments for long shots. I sent the scope back to the service center for repair, after 6 weeks I called sightron to inquire on my scope. The manager told me that the damage was caused my blunt force and would not be covered by the warranty. I have NEVER even bumped this scope, the rifle is transported and stored in a hard case. Sightron makes a S#@$y product, and they will not stand behind their warranty. Buy a Zeiss, Leupold, or whatever. If you want quality then stay far away from sightron!!
You're is the first and only post I've seen along these lines. And the only one I've ever read of the opinion that a Sightron scope is the equivalent of doo doo. I suspect your opinion of the scope quality is heavily tainted by your sour grapes experience. Of course, your experience is your experience. I will say that I've found dents and dings in my rifle scopes over the past 40 years for which I have no explanation. Sometimes I wonder if my wife doesn't knock my rifles around in the house. Or when the kids were around, if they didn't cause some of the dents & dings. Because I would never have done such a thing.