Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Sighting in my ATACR MOAR scope - help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Silver Member

Re: Sighting in my ATACR MOAR scope - help.

Thank you, that helps my understanding significantly.

One more....

If I use any power to sight in at various distances, the windage recticle won't be accurate unless I sight in at a specific power and use it at that exact power?

Wind is kinda tough for me to read properly anyway so I'm not sure. but if my Kestrel says I have a 10mph wind and it is at a 90 degree angle and my shot is 300 yards, what would I do?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
dah605 the clicks will always be 1/4 MOA regardless of magnification. Magnification changes only affect the reticle spacing and have nothing to do with the turrets.
Browninglover1, thanks for correcting me! It took a while for my head to wrap around this, but it does make sense to me now. I had to think in terms of the information I've read... ~65MOA adjustment + 20MOA in the reticle at 25X and +40MOA at 12.5X, but still the same initial ~65MOA.

-David
Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 PM
Silver Member

Help...
Old 04-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Fireball View Post
Thank you, that helps my understanding significantly.

One more....

If I use any power to sight in at various distances, the windage recticle won't be accurate unless I sight in at a specific power and use it at that exact power?

Wind is kinda tough for me to read properly anyway so I'm not sure. but if my Kestrel says I have a 10mph wind and it is at a 90 degree angle and my shot is 300 yards, what would I do?
Yes, and use a ballistic program (like shooter on iphone and android) and enter in your variables, i prefer to dial for wind and drop, i only use the reticle as a a guage to figure out my correction in the occasion of a miss.

Riley

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

Guessing the recticle is a nice back up if you don't have time to dial on a game animal.