Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

To side focus or not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Gold Member

Re: To side focus or not

It seems to me that most any scope runs into problems with paralax at longer ranges when the magnification gets above 10x or so. For real precision shooting, I like the 4.5-14x to 5.5-22x powered scopes with side focus.

We often use the terms "focus" and "paralax" interchangeably, but this technically is not the case. I believe Dave King has a good explanation of both at the top of this forum heading.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
We often use the terms "focus" and "paralax" interchangeably, but this technically is not the case.
Exactly! That is why I mentioned that one may be slightly out of focus when all the paralax is properly adjusted out. I don't know who started this " Side Focus" term. My first memory of it was Leupold as they inscript it right on the knob. This sends bad info to many shooters and the knob is sed incorrectly more often than not.

Jeff
Old 02-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

My front focus AO scopes are on a CZ 527 .223 Rem, CZ 527 .204 Ruger, CZ 452 .22LR, and BSA Lonestar .25 PCP.

They do not recoil enough to warrant moving the focus to the center of the scope. Therefore, I don't worry about center focus.

You can install a big ty-wrap around your AO focusing ring and leave the "knob" where it is easily accessed by the thumb as your hand supports your forestock. This is better than center focus for offhand shooting in the field under actual fast use hunting conditions. Just move your thumb up and down to focus your scope.....no need to move your hand back to the forestock like center focus requires. I can do this while my left hand is sling supported also.

Wonder why nobody else ever mentions this way of focusing an AO ring??? It works. Try it.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like it would be worth it on a longer range rifle but maybe not needed on rifles for closes shots with less magnification.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsugarbear View Post
We often use the terms "focus" and "paralax" interchangeably, but this technically is not the case. I believe Dave King has a good explanation of both at the top of this forum heading.
I've got one of each...

My Burris Signature 4.5-14x50 has an adjustable objective for parallax adjustment. Everything is in focus no matter where you look at any power magnification. Parallax changes when you turn the end of the scope. Unfortunately, that means you can're really use a flip-up scope cover. Won't be making the AO scope mistake again!

My cheap side focus Simmons 6-18x40 (that actually has "SF" in the model designation) changes focus with the side knob. In fact, if I focus it at 50 yards, I can't really even see the target at 100 yards. Can't tell if the parallax changes much - i haven't shot it beyond 100 yards. Basically, it's worthless for quick shots at varying distances (which is okay since it's on my bench .22). Luckily, you only have to turn the knob a few millimeters to range it through it's full focal range. However, that makes it hard to "fine tune" the focus. Honestly, if your focus is off by 10 feet, the target will be blurry. Also, even at 6x it's tricky to get your eye in the right position. The eye relief has a range of about 1/4" outside of which you can see nothing. Also, the reticle is rotated about 5 degrees. It was a very low price, but I won't make the "cheap scope" mistake again!

Next scope will probably be a Conquest or a Vari-X III to replace the Simmons. I'm keeping the Burris on my .300 win mag model 70 for now. Once I get a "real" long range gun, it's probably getting a Nightforce. My dad has a NF 8-32x56 on a Les Baer .308. I'm seriously considering getting the same combo, but probably with a 5-22x50.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

I have AO focus on a 6-18 Leupold I have (22-250 heavy barrel) but..
on a 243 heavy I have a Zeiss with side focus; a 260 heavy barrel a Zeiss side focus and on my 6mmBR a Zeiss side focus. A Heavy 25-06 AI thats Im having built will carry a Nikon with side focus.

SF is quicker; IMHO more accurate and all in all seems to me to be more appropriate being where it is.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

I have both and use both . It's probably depends on what you're used to . My main Varmint rig carries a Fixed 16X Leupold with AO that after well over 10,000 Rounds , works as slick as butter . I'm so used to cranking that AO almost constantly in the Prairie Dog Fields , that I don't even think about it , and it ain't broke yet .....but it rides on a low kicking 223 . Have not used the SFs much yet , but future purchases will be based on other factors . AOs are not a problem for me.