Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

To side focus or not

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Bronze Member

To side focus or not

Is side focus worth it enough to dismiss any scope that doesn't have? What are the real advantages and disadvantages of both? Thanks
Old 02-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Silver Member

Re: To side focus or not

I am new to using the SF feature myself and I do like it better than having to reach out front to twist the A/O. Also its a much faster adjustment..
Old 02-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Bronze Member

The side focus helps you make fast adjustments. It'a very helpful in military and tactical environments. If you never plan on doing any tactical rifle match shooting or shooting where you are going to constantly change you range, it might not be needed. If all you plan on doing is normal shooting at paper and hunting, I wouldnt bother. Here is somthing to think about. Since the scopes invention in the late 1800 to present day, scopes didnt have side focus. I have quite a collection of rifles and only my tactical and target rifles have a SF knobs or an adj obj.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Gold Member

Need it, no. Like it, YOU BET ! Worth it, yes .
Old 02-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

side focus is quite simply mechanically superior to an AO,front of the scope, type of adjustment. this is what Mr. Thomas of Premier scopes told me. side focus SF has all the parts in the center of the scope where it's supported by the mounts. AO has everything out on the end, where it adds more weight to unsupported areas. this gives the scope more flex under recoil. AO is one of the weak links,that gave Leupolds a bad name and was certainly their achilles heel.they simply won't point straight all the time changing the point of impact. the fix for the older AO models was to glue the AO in one spot.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

I don't think of them as a focus. I use them to adjust out the paralax. In fact in some cases when all the paralax is adjusted out at distances like 1000 yards you may be slightly out of focus. But this is where the tightest groups are shot. If I am looking at a scope for long range the side paralax is a must for me. I have seen it work with my own eyes.

Jeff
Old 02-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I don't think of them as a focus. I use them to adjust out the paralax. In fact in some cases when all the paralax is adjusted out at distances like 1000 yards you may be slightly out of focus. But this is where the tightest groups are shot. If I am looking at a scope for long range the side paralax is a must for me. I have seen it work with my own eyes.

Jeff
+1

I can't even imagine trying to shoot precision with a high powered scope at any distance beyond maybe 300 yds without a way to adjust out the parallax.

Parallax is really noticeable under 100 yds and out past 300 with any high powered (over maybe 12X) scope I've ever looked through, not to mention the image focus.