Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Shopping for a new rangefinder...Recommendations / Opinions desired

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Bronze Member

Shopping for a new rangefinder...Recommendations / Opinions desired

Hello Everyone!

I currently own a leica LRF 800, and have thus far been very pleased with it in the field with fine accuracy of measurement to the mid 600's on hair under most conditions, but difficulties in the 700's and 800's judging brushy hill sides. I'm shopping for a new unit because I'd like to get into some 1,000+ yard shooting and hunting, starting out mostly after varmints first and working my way up to big game later. I will use it for long range hunting and also to acquire distance measurements for quick calculations of surface acreage for fields and ponds to apply herbicides and chemical treatments for a company I work for.

What are your recommendations for brands?? How valuable are each of the models feature wise?? Looking for real world information from people who have really used the equipment. I can only glean so much generic information before I really need some in field experience. I was looking at the newer Zeiss, Leica, and Swaro's. Not at all interested in anything with LCD readout because I already found out how worthless the black or dark brown reticle and readouts are on elk hunts late in the evening and early morning.
I really appreciate any comments / advice.

Thank you!
Old 04-16-2011, 04:27 AM
Gold Member

Re: Shopping for a new rangefinder...Recommendations / Opinions desired

I've owned a Leica 1200 and am in the market for a new rangefinder too. I'm looking hard at the zeiss prf and the G7. The G7 has everything I want but it's unproven and not currently available. Hopefully it will be before this coming hunting season. I've heard great things about the new Leica 1600 as well.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Silver Member

I like the Leica CRF 1600.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Bronze Member

I was looking at the Zeiss PRF as well, I guess what I'm not understanding about rangefinders is don't most of them just give a line-of-sight measurement? Do none of the top models take into account for angular compensation?? Am I to understand correctly that the majority of long range shooters in this situation are using angle cosine devices to input values into a handheld PC??
Old 04-16-2011, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Briefly and blunt!

Search around this web site, look at the comparisons, there are some good comparisons and very good threads you'll determine the following, as I did:

For regular old long range shooting - the Leica 1600 is the choice.

For extreme long range shooting - the Vectronics PLRF - 10 is choice.

Its as simple as that.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Briefly and blunt!

Search around this web site, look at the comparisons, there are some good comparisons and very good threads you'll determine the following, as I did:

For regular old long range shooting - the Leica 1600 is the choice.

For extreme long range shooting - the Vectronics PLRF - 10 is choice.

Its as simple as that.
I heard the leica 1600 actually goes downhill pretty fast on the outside of 1000 yards, and from the reviews I read it seemed to be the most problematic from a function standpoint as far as people having trouble with the unit (and many who had had the 1600 and the 1200 preferred the 1200. The swarovski seemed to have the best functionality and reliability, but there was a question about the reticle circle being way to big to get accurate measurements at the outside of the range because of it. Zeiss had very good ratings overall for the money it seemed to be in the range of the swaro in terms of reliablity, quality, and functionality. I'll check out the Vectronics.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Again, the reviews here tell a story.

Keep in mind the big consideration is "BEAM DIVERGENCE".

Ranging to 1500 yards on the wrong object is a miss no matter what you paid for the LRF.

Broz used his Vectronics to make a 1k or so coyote first shot hit on fairly flat ground. I doubt there is another almost affordable LRF that would allow that shot.

The Leica 1200 & 1600s have a smaller divergence than any of the others in that price range.

My 1200 would range to 1500 accurately, before the sun came up and after the sun went down. At high noon 8-900 was about it at my favorite 'hide' location.

Sold it and am budgeting for a 1600 as, thinking small/cheaper but am dreaming of the Vectronix.