Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Shepherd scopes and Kalinka Optics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2005, 01:50 PM

Shepherd scopes and Kalinka Optics

I was wondering what people here thought of Shepherd scopes and Kalinka Optics for LR hunting! Your insights would be greatly appreciated. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Shepherd scopes and Kalinka Optics

Samd,
I did a search for you and found this. Have a good time
reading it!
Oh, Welcome to long range hunting forum!
CLICK ME FOR THE LINK

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 07-16-2005, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

SHEPARD - no idea.

KALINKA - WHICH MODELS? - I went to the Russian factory thet makes the PPO sniper models and obtained samples via a friend in Moscow. Better than baseline Asian - but NOT top slot - really not much better than high-end entry level.

I tried a 5-20*50 - This is a fixed image scope (i.e the reticle is NOT image centred) and you'll NEED to pre centre in adjustable mounts. The reticle ilumination is badly designed - and when I suggested the factory look at how anther russian make tackled the subject they quickly agreed that the competition was WAY better.

Also have a 6-24*60 (moving image) - OK - but loses clarity at above 21mag. Told however the fixed 10*50 is not bad (this from my mate who uses a PR-VX3 GEN2 MILDOT. Comes down to spec's. The fixed is simple design - and when I get news that my mate is coming over this way - I'll get him to bring me one to play with.

This is TRADITIONAL OPTICS TERRITORY - High lead content glass (HEAVY) and old fashioned coatings.

I also use a PILAD 8*56 a fair amount - very simple and unchallenged design so it copes well with simple glass. But this I doubt is what you meant. I use it for closish work - bunny bashing etc.

I've seen worse - but also alot better. For serious long distance - NO WAY.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:49 AM

Chris in Madrid and Eaglet...I want to thank you both for your help and insight with these scopes. I am narrowing down my choices for a reasonable LR scope within my budget.

I was hoping to ask you and anyone who might have some experience with or opinion on Leatherwood Scopes in particular the HI-Lux models.

I am new to LR hunting and don't have any good gun stores in my area with a variety of med to high end scopes. When I do buy a scope it will probably be through the Internet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

THANKS ONCE AGAIN!