Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Shepherd Scopes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2007, 12:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomosendero View Post
I had one in the early 90's, so I hope that they are more rugged now. When I bought one, 2 of my friends also ordered one. With my scope the secondary
reticle would move from time to time. Dan offered to fix it, but I wound up trading the entire rig off. One of my friend's scope messed up & he sent it in.
I know Meatloaf said that 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but I don't think he was talking about scopes. I have decided to go another direction. I do like the concept alot & like others have said the optics were good, but not top of the line. I think it would have been great if he had sold his patent to a quality scope company. However, if someone knows for sure the scopes are more rugged now, tell us about it!!!
I don't recall the time frame but several years ago there was a problem that has been fixed. The objective bell is threaded and is supposed to be welded on also. The company that was putting the scopes together neglected to do the welding, that company no longer assembles the scopes so if that was the problem with your scope then it has been fixed.
I don't have a dog in this hunt, just passing on what Dan told me.
James
Old 12-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James H View Post
I don't recall the time frame but several years ago there was a problem that has been fixed. The objective bell is threaded and is supposed to be welded on also. The company that was putting the scopes together neglected to do the welding, that company no longer assembles the scopes so if that was the problem with your scope then it has been fixed.
I don't have a dog in this hunt, just passing on what Dan told me.
James
Thanks for the info, things change & sometimes for the better.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:54 AM

shepard scopes

I have a shepard on a browning 1885 chambered for 7stw. I watched their adds. for 2 years before I got to see one of their scopes. I bought this one in 96 or 97 and I am happy with it. before I had a leopold I do belive the leopold is a little bit better glass and better at low light I still have it on a 243. the shepard has always worked for me I have shot 8 whitetail at 700 to 900 yrds I dont have an open place longer than that or I would have tried it I did have a shot at a 5x5 elk one year but he was spooked by other hunters and when I saw him he was hauling the mail at about 650 yrds from left to right I had a good rest and watched he stopped right at the 1000 yrd mark I had all of these spots already ranged so I knew but I did not feel right so I did not shoot.I know elk are hard to put down when their spooked. hope this helps Patrick