Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Shepard Scopes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2002, 03:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Shepard Scopes?

A friend of mine has one, he loves it, I hated the clarity, it reminded me of my dads Springfield Armory scopes... Bushnell quality glass. He likes the reticle most of all. My dads are about the same type too, they just don't do it for me. My 2 cents.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:31 PM
Silver Member

I have used a Shepard scope and have no complaint as a hunting scope out to 600-700 yards if you match your ammo to the scope. My next scope will be a 8.5 X 25 for higher mag and click adjustment. But Im thinking of quick release rings and keeping the shepard also. hope this helps [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2002, 07:48 AM
Silver Member

A friend and myself brought 3 of them when they first came out. Nice idea but they just didn't hold up sent mine back for repair they had it a year and half. We sold them all and are buy leupolds and burris with mil dots im them.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:54 AM
Writers Guild

Not a fan of reticle subtension to estimate range. Just too much room for error at longer ranges. Also, you have to make your load suits the reticle which may mean a less then optimum load. With the newer styles of bullets, the trajectories are very flat and the reticle can not be adjusted. The reticle doesn't account for long ranges anyway.

The turrents allow for precise adjustments and can account for changes in weather or light. Used with a quality rangefinder, you can get POI within a few inches at very long ranges. Optical quality is usually better too.

Now if someone came up with an LED programable reticle, that would be very interesting. I am sure the military is experimenting with scopes that have self adjusting reticles tied to rangefinders. Just imagine an F-16 HUD in your scope.

Enjoy...

Jerry
Old 12-30-2002, 12:49 AM

I use Shepherd scopes a lot. The reticle will range out to 1,000 yards. The farthest I have shot mine is 600 yards. It is not really made for target shooting. As far as optical clarity, I do a lot of hunting in the dead of night and there are not too many scopes that can see as well. As long as there is some moon light, I can see well enough to shoot without a spotlight. I haven't had a problems with durability. It is my understanding that when the the Shepherd first came out, it didn't stand up to heavy recoil very well and they have since beefed up the insides.