Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

SFP vs. FFP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: SFP vs. FFP

Another vote for SFP.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

The best thing you can do is spend a ton of time reading, learning and then deciding exactly how you are going to use your scope when hunting big game LR. There are many valid reasons to consider FFP and ranging isn't one of them.

Are you going to dial or hold for elevation?

How about wind?

Do you measure groups with your reticle or size up game animals with your reticle?

Do you plan on shooting different power levels, especially if you also will use the reticle for elevation and/or wind holds?

All of these things will help you decide if FFP is something you should consider.

Today's FFP reticles are a zero issue for LR shooting IMO ELR is a different story. The thickest of FFP reticles only cover 2 inches at 1000 yards. So for big game applications this is a non issue for almost everyone with a modicum of good eyesight. Loosing the reticle on low powers is likely a bigger concern. However, the way the outside portion of the reticle is designed in today's FFP scopes, this is a non issue as well.

Good luck in your decision.

Scot E.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot E View Post
The best thing you can do is spend a ton of time reading, learning and then deciding exactly how you are going to use your scope when hunting big game LR. There are many valid reasons to consider FFP and ranging isn't one of them.

Are you going to dial or hold for elevation?

How about wind?

Do you measure groups with your reticle or size up game animals with your reticle?

Do you plan on shooting different power levels, especially if you also will use the reticle for elevation and/or wind holds?

All of these things will help you decide if FFP is something you should consider.

Today's FFP reticles are a zero issue for LR shooting IMO ELR is a different story. The thickest of FFP reticles only cover 2 inches at 1000 yards. So for big game applications this is a non issue for almost everyone with a modicum of good eyesight. Loosing the reticle on low powers is likely a bigger concern. However, the way the outside portion of the reticle is designed in today's FFP scopes, this is a non issue as well.

Good luck in your decision.

Scot E.

I would argue that you can do all of these things with a SFP scope as well. With the caveat that if you are switching magnification you need to give it a little more thought.

For example, a NF NXS 5.5-22 with a MOAR reticle has delineations in 1MOA at 22x. At 11x, they represent 2MOA. At 5.5x, they are 4 MOA. For me, this is a simple conversion and covers enough mag range for my needs. Anything really long (and thus more critical for hold/dial) will likely be done at max magnification

Not piling on FFP scopes by any means, they definitely have their pluses and people who love them. Just noting that the advantage in holdover is not as pronounced as some think.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
I would argue that you can do all of these things with a SFP scope as well. With the caveat that if you are switching magnification you need to give it a little more thought.

For example, a NF NXS 5.5-22 with a MOAR reticle has delineations in 1MOA at 22x. At 11x, they represent 2MOA. At 5.5x, they are 4 MOA. For me, this is a simple conversion and covers enough mag range for my needs. Anything really long (and thus more critical for hold/dial) will likely be done at max magnification

Not piling on FFP scopes by any means, they definitely have their pluses and people who love them. Just noting that the advantage in holdover is not as pronounced as some think.
Good point. I'm just not a fan of dividing and multiplying while I am trying to get a shot off without making a mistake. I am all about taking as much error, mistakes, and difficult stuff out of the equation as I can. I could use hold over instead of dialing for distance too but that just makes things harder for me.

The less chance for error the better is the LR shooter's mantra. In my mind this goes with scope choice as well. Give me no math or conversions, single digit numbers and everything the same at all power levels, all day long. It is why I prefer FFP MIL for my big game use. The less the better when shooting under pressure. And yes, I consider shooting a big buck "under pressure"!

Lots of different opinions on this. I have and still use both FFP and SFP and MOA and MIL but prefer FFP MIL for big game use. YMMV.

Scot E.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Bronze Member

Got a VX-6 3-18x50mm SFP with a fine duplex reticle. My ranging for hunting will be with a 1000i and elevation dopes set with my CDS turret dial out to 775yds! Hold overs aren't needed and I like the reticle size the same at 3x to 18X! As needed, I'll dial in windage.

So far, I've been in the 10-ring at the range between 200 through 600yds with this arrangement. We'll see how this holds up in the field scoping down a big deer!
Old 11-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

I prefer and use ffp and mil, my future scopes will all be this.In NWMT I have successfully used my mil scope that is divided into 1/5 mil to range elk to 800 yrd and harvest. We have a majority of cloud,fog snow,conditions that make range finder useless. I could only range 250 yrs this weekend,but could see 950 yrds. I also carry a range book that I drew up of my favorite spots for this reason also.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:44 AM
Silver Member

True most long range hunting is done with SFP scopes, but I think alot of that has to do with the fact that most guys arent willing to fork over $3k+ for a top tier ffp scope.