Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

SFP vs. FFP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 03:30 AM

SFP vs. FFP

I am building my first long range rifle, and the time has come to buy a scope. I am on a pretty limited budget, as a poor college student. Right now I am looking at the Vortex Viper HS-T. My question is, what would I gain by going with a FFP reticle? Would it be worth the extra $2-300? The rifle will be used for long range target shooting, and deer and elk at all ranges. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:53 AM
Bronze Member

Re: SFP vs. FFP

I would buy the FFP scope because if you're going to use the reticle for judging distances it will work on all magnifications. There is more but I'm not completely sure how it works. All I know is most long distance shooting recommendations are for a reticle in the FFP.

While the Vortex Viper scopes are good you can get a scope with a reticle in the FFP for less that is also very good. I read an article on low budget long distance shooting and they recommended the Falcon Menace line of scopes. Many of their scopes use the FFP and the price is very low in comparison.

A 30mm 5.5-25X50 scope will run you $449.95. A 30mm 4-14X44 scope is $359.95. The article said they are respectable scopes and worth more than they cost. Sorry, no first hand experience with them but I'm looking at one for myself. Spending that little on a scope might allow you more budget for a better stock or something else you might have been short on cast but wanted for the build.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:40 AM
Silver Member

I'd consider making the scope your most expensive purchase. You can always improve the rifle but you're stuck with the scope.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

No, by far most LR shooting is done with SFP scopes.
Mainly because the reticle subtension is too high with FFP scopes at high powers.

Also, it makes no sense today to range animals with reticles over way more accurate laser ranging. This, disolving any need for FFP ranging.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Silver Member

If you plan on shooting comps or using the reticle for elevation and wind holds get the ffp, if your hunting at longer ranges where you have time to dial for windage and elevation sfp will be fine. The ffp reticle does grow when you increase the power, but the reticle size is relative to the target throughout the power range, meaning the reticle is covering just as much of the target at 10x as it is at 25x.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Gold Member

As Mikecr already mentioned, LR = SFP. Not to mention, the hundreds of dollars that can be spent on better glass by going SFP over FFP. And as Bill123 said, spend the money on the glass.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Gold Member

Jack, Mike and Bill said it all. Great replys that you can take to the bank. Good luck.