Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

sfp/ffp for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: sfp/ffp for hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
Here are some pics I took a while back of the PST 4-16 FFP Mil/Mil to give you guys an idea what to expect from the reticle at 4X in low light:

WOW Jon A great pics.

Seeing is believing,

joseph
Old 12-26-2010, 01:37 AM
Silver Member

those pictures look good. im interested to see how reports of the pst's go when they come back out. other than that, i think my next option is to spend twice as much and get an IOR 3-18x42. i cant afford an NXS F1 and from what ive read, i think the IOR is a much better buy than the comparable leupold ER/T.

but if i plan to get a LRF, i guess ffp isnt really an advantage? say i see a deer way off. i dial scope to the appropriate power that i like for that shot. range him with LRF, dial dope in scope and shoot. i did not use the reticle to range or hold on that shot.

i guess i need to decide if i want to spend another $600 on a LRF, then what kind of hunting i will be doing. i really dont do really long range stuff, but would like to start. seems like in long range situations, you would have the time to laser the deer, then dial dope. that actually seems like it would be faster than reading the reticle, reading your ranging card, then dialing dope.

Last edited by rjackh; 12-26-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post

but if i plan to get a LRF, i guess ffp isnt really an advantage? say i see a deer way off. i dial scope to the appropriate power that i like for that shot. range him with LRF, dial dope in scope and shoot. i did not use the reticle to range or hold on that shot.

i guess i need to decide if i want to spend another $600 on a LRF, then what kind of hunting i will be doing. i really dont do really long range stuff, but would like to start. seems like in long range situations, you would have the time to laser the deer, then dial dope. that actually seems like it would be faster than reading the reticle, reading your ranging card, then dialing dope.
Actually if I understand what you are saying I think your reasoning is flawed. With a SFP scope in order for you to range correctly with the hash marks or dots on the reticle you need to be at the particular power for it to range correctly. If you use clicks to adjust for distance you will take precious time while your target may move and change the distance. With a FFP scope that has the reticle+turret and click values all the same you can do all your calculations with any of the 3 systems at any power you choose.

Oh before I forget. If it is snowing or you are in inclement weather your laser rangefinder my not work correctly. Actually with a FFP scope that has a reticule with hash marks or dots that are accurate it is very accurate to range accurately out to 500 + yards.

What I added to my Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope was to add their Custom Turret programmed in yards to my load. This coordinates the reticule+ clicks+ custom turret all in MOA (yards+1/4 inches). Now all I have to do is use the laser rangefinder for yardage, turn my elevation to the number of yards, hold for wind and shoot. If very little or no wind just range turn turret to yardage and shoot.

Read here this my make my point more clear:

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph

PS: Hope I have helped.

Last edited by joseph; 12-26-2010 at 11:57 AM.