Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

sfp/ffp for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 05:54 AM
Silver Member

Re: sfp/ffp for hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post

and mine

there
another Vortex Viper PST FFP 1/10mil 4-16x review - Sniper's Hide Forums

and here
Vortex Viper PST FFP 1/10mil 4-16x review

FFP has its place. It all depends on what your needs/wishes are. I like mine and have not had an issue finding the reticle. It is comforting to know when I have a moving coyote I dont need to do mental gymnastics to come up with the proper lead and its relation to the power I have dialed to at the moment.

Last edited by Niles Coyote; 12-07-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles Coyote View Post
It is comforting to know when I have a moving coyote I dont need to do mental gymnastics to come up with the proper lead and its relation to the power I have dialed to at the moment.
this is why my gut tells me to stick with a ffp
Old 12-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackh View Post
this is why my gut tells me to stick with a ffp
Trust your gut. ;) If you plan on using the reticle for anything, thereís just really no good reason not to get FFP.

If you do a search here there are quite a few threads where most points for/against have been discussed at length. I suggest giving them a read over to help you decide. Without re-hashing everything again, Iíll quickly address something you said to start the thread: Anytime you need to use the reticle youíll probably just crank it up to max power so it wonít matter.

That is a very good point and is true to some degree. If youíre talking about 3-9 or 2.5-10X scopes itís true in pretty much any situation which is why I feel FFP is not as important for those power ranges. I prefer it, but it isnít as big a deal.

But when youíre talking about 16, 20, 24X, etc, scopes it becomes less true. There are many situations I run into hunting where that is simply too much power. I just ordered a March 3-24X42. Even if it has the best glass in the world, I donít expect 24X to be very useful in low light conditions. Thatís just not a reasonable expectation. So when the big fella steps out on the distant hillside in the last couple minutes of shooting light, Iíll crank up the power as high as I can to get the best view, but it probably wonít be 24X. But with FFP it doesnít have to beóyou donít even need to look at the magnification ring to see where you stop because it doesnít matter. Crank it up until it looks good and shoot. Your wind holds will still work just fine.

I shot my buck this year at 540 yds on 20X. He jumped up out of his bed and only went a few yards, but it took a while to get back on him. The FOV on 20X is small and really doesnít give you very good situational awareness. In this case it didnít matter because he was in the middle of a big empty hillside so he had nowhere to go, but had there been cover on the hill he could have disappeared into and where a quick follow-up shot may have been important had I screwed up the first, I wouldnít have shot on 20X. I would have dialed down a ways simply because it would have been the smart thing to do and 20X certainly wasnít needed for the shot. But if doing that meant screwing up my wind hold so I couldnít do it the same way Iíve been practicing all year long I would have been quite displeased. Which is why I was using a FFP.

As far as them getting too small and being hard to see on low power in low light, it obviously depends on which one youíre talking about. Some do, many donít. There are dozens of FFP reticles out there that are more visible at low power than some of the most popular SFP reticles here are. If youíre wondering specifically about the PST 4-16 FFP, I used it quite a bit this season hunting in thick brush on 4X until dark. I can tell you from actual experience itís fantastic. The reticle is sized such that it is ďOKĒ for such use without illuminationóOK but Iíve seen better. Turn on the illumination and it goes from OK to excellent. Youíve got a glowing red cross in the middle of your viewóimpossible to miss. Itís small enough and controllable enough it doesnít wash out the rest of the view (which is a problem with many illuminated scopes, especially some of the more popular SFP here) but bright enough to be seen easily in any low light condition.

Hopefully that helps your decision.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Ditto above, I picked up a 6-20x50 Mark4 ffp, mill on mill like it so far
Old 12-24-2010, 06:37 AM
Bronze Member

Ffp is the way to go if you intend to use the reticule for ranging or aiming off.
I have a couple of S&B with darell Hollands ART reticule installed and MOA turrets.
It's a fool proof system for long range shooting. You don't have to remember power settings in the heat of the moment or be limited due to low light conditions.
FTP scopes are not the best for up close low mag use as the reticule is harder to see but this is LRH we are talking here!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

The Vortex PSTs FFP with the illuminated reticle at the lowest power are very easy to see. Once you set the illumination you only need one click to turn it on and off. I only have had to use the illumination at dusk other than that I don't think you need it once you get used to seeing it when it at the lowest power.

Mine is the Vortex Viper 6-24x50 mm PST FFP which has the illumination and custom turret with the EBR-1 reticle which I think is a much better than a mil-dot. I personally think it is a much better scope than the Leupold FFP for half the price and a better warranty than Leupold also.

Just my .02,

joseph

Last edited by joseph; 12-24-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Here are some pics I took a while back of the PST 4-16 FFP Mil/Mil to give you guys an idea what to expect from the reticle at 4X in low light: