Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

sfp/ffp for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: sfp/ffp for hunting

You can read and see some of the experiences I have had with my Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm MOA FFP scope with the Vortex custom Turret. Oh by the way I LOVE this scope. You can also get them in SFP for less money.

Field test: Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP scope. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Testing new Vortex custom turret. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

PST in auto crash. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Vortex Viper PST mounted with pics. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

When the power is set at 6x yes the reticule is thin, but once you get used to it you will like it. Besides it can be illuminated very fast which makes it even more visable than a SFP scope.

"Aim small miss small",

joseph

Last edited by joseph; 11-30-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=joseph;444830] Besides it can be illuminated very fast which makes it even more visable than a SFP scope.

you can illuminate a SFP reticle just as fast as a FFP, and it's more visible!
Old 12-01-2010, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=davewilson;444864]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Besides it can be illuminated very fast which makes it even more visable than a SFP scope.

You can illuminate a SFP reticle just as fast as a FFP, and it's more visible!
With the SFP PST you probably do not have to illuminate the reticle.

joseph
Old 12-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member

now there's something we can probably agree on! you're one of the few select individuals that have one of these scopes, and countless others are basically jealous. i've read your reports, although it's been a while. did you shoot groups cranking that thing up and down with each shot to see if it would repeat and move the POI exactly the distance you were adjusting the turrets? with a hard kicking gun?
Old 12-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Platinum Member

davewilson ,

One of the guys in the picture at the 2,000 yd. range was shooting his 338 which is a real kicker. They quit shooting their rifles and shot mine. It was easier to hit the gongs from 200 yds. all the way out to 1,200 and back to 200 yds. just by turning the custom turret to the yardage.

It sounds like you want to find out how it will stand up to the big kickers which I do not know because I shoot a 6mm Norma BR with 105 gr. Berger VLDs out of a 14+ pound rifle. The guy that hit my car from behind totaled his car and the impact did not affect the PSE at all.

Maybe when they are back delivering the PSTs with the tighter turrets and better QC of the vertical on the reticle someone will put one on a 50 BMG and we will find out.

Personally I have not used a NF or other expensive scopes.

As for shooting a group at a distance and turning the turret in between shots and then back to see if it will track perfectly I think it would have to to be able to go from 200 to 1,200 and back to 200 yds. in 100 yd. changes. Example: shot at 200 then 300 then 400 and so forth up to 1,200 and then back down to 200 yds.

"Aim small miss small",

joseph

PS: I am very happy with this scope. Oh I have had to adjust the windage turret at long distances to move the impact to the right and left and the clicks seem to be perfect.

Last edited by joseph; 12-01-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Silver Member

glad to hear good things about the pst. i am eager to hear more about them when they come back out. given my budget, it might be my only option. i hope i can afford to go with an IOR though. i think QC will be better and i know the glass in IOR's are great
Old 12-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
The reports you are referring to about the Viper PST scope....could you post a link or point me in their direction. Would be very interested in reading them as most everything I've been able to find has been positive.
here are some reviews i dug up on the hide. not sure if there is negative stuff in there or not, but here is what i found

Vortex Viper PST 4-16X50 FFP Initial Impressions - Sniper's Hide Forums

Another Viper review 4-16X50 updated range report - Sniper's Hide Forums

Box testing a PST 6-24 SFP thru scope pics added - Sniper's Hide Forums

Google Custom Search