Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

SFP or the FFP for big game rifle hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Gold Member

Re: SFP or the FFP for big game rifle hunting

One thing I noticed about the PST FFP that I don't like is the hash marks on the windage crosshair are in 2moa but the PST SFP offers 1moa on the windage crosshair. I know that on the FFP if they were 1moa you would not be able to see them at low power but I usually shoot near max power and always do on long range shots. Almost all scopes in FFP are this way but 2moa is useless if you ask me.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3 View Post
For out to 600 I would suggest a Leupold B&C You can work out your distances using a ballistic program for the various lines eg I set mine up for 350, 500 , 575 and 650 yd and is much quicker than turrets. Keeps about 3.5 " drop within those ranges. Beyond 600 I use both ffp and sfp but prefer most times ffp
I agree, but I'd throw in the Zeiss conqest as well. I have both and I think the zeiss has a little better glass and their service is just as good and at least as rarely needed.

The Rapid Z 600 would really be the cat's meow.. .
Old 03-29-2011, 08:01 AM
Bronze Member

You bring up a good point and it's something each individual needs to take a look at. I call it target clutter. At long distance and high magnification how much info does one want to sort through?
My experience is while walking or close range stalking low to mid magnification is set. Ranging is seldom used on quick target acquisition on fleeting game.
High magnification at longer distances would be used after one has glassed and determined distance to target and has compensated for atmospheric conditions.
The op made a point to mention that his scope would be used for hunting up to 600 yards. I agree with the Leupold w/bdc, or any other high quality scope with custom turrents would be adequate.
I'm of the opinion one should buy a high quality scope once as in the future rifles can be switched out under good glass. Too many times we see owners switching up glass (check the f/s forums of this site, snipershide or optics talk and one can find all sorts of recent mid to mid-high glass being swaped out or being offed.
Remember, with continued development of warfare and high-end sporting glass there is a steady stream of last years latest-greatest available. Much of this glass is little used, high quality and can be purchased for a fair price if one is patient.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Bronze Member

I see no need for FFP for ranging. Without knowing exactly how big your target is you will not be able to range accurately. Besides, we use rangefinders for ranging these days. The ranging argument for FFP always sounds silly to me.

FFP is most useful for rapid follow up corrections on any power. SFP cannot compete in this aspect.

FFP is also good for leading moving targets on any power if that's what you are into.

The simplicity and ease of use under stress is also a biggie.

Last edited by jeffersonv; 03-29-2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typo