Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

seeking long range binos advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2004, 06:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: seeking long range binos advice

Danno

I would seriously look at the mini big eyes sets that Jerry Phillips sells in PA. He takes different spotting scopes, mounts a pair in alum brackets and they work cheaper and better that the large binos. His small sets are around $400 and up. Mount on small or large tripods. He is often at the PA Williamsport shoots. His number is (215) 757-5037.

BH
Old 05-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Writers Guild

Danno, for the money the Nikons are hard to beat. A 10 to 12X in the higher grades like Monarch, Venturer, are absolutely amazing. In fact the Venturer (I believe that is the model) is the best rated binos in the world by any manufacturer, at any price.

Hunting last year with my ATB Monarch roof prisms 8X42. I could clearly make out the details of a Ford truck that drove by over 1500yds away. That includes door handles, stuff in the bed, accessories on the truck, etc. I shoot that ridge so know the distance. You don't need high mag when you have great glass. Low light vision is also amazing. Cost - under $300 US.

Next up is Pentax. Their porro prism binos are very good for the money. about 90% as clear as the Nikons but 1/3 the price. I own a set of 20X60 and they work fine in daylight.

Bausch and Lomb Elites are also superb but the better models are getting pricey. Would go Nikon if same price.

For the best reviews, check out the bird watching sites. They are the experts when it comes to glass. As a rule, the Pentax and Nikons are dominating this market.

The really high end Germans are also worth a look. My budget didn't allow and I don't think I have given up anything. Steiners are usually not well rated.

Jerry
Old 05-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Silver Member

Hey Danno,

sounds like the makings of a win win situatiohn. If you got long range hogs and are in Va, I have the ultimate bigeyz and would be glad to put you behind them to spot for me on your hogs!
[Reaching for wallet] You wouldn't happen to be a betting man would you?
Impossible means not done YET!
Old 05-10-2004, 08:52 PM

Bounty Hunter -- The mini big eyes is new to me. I ought to give him a call.

Jerry -- I always like to hear real world personal experiences like yours. Wish I could actually compare all these things side by side. I didn't know that Steiner isn't a very esteemed name in European glass. The ones you mentions all sound worthy, and it would be excellent to be able to afford the high end stuff.

Randy -- You've got a pretty nifty little idea to allow me to try out your glass! You know me as Dan in Va on GGVG, and Sam in Va is my #1 hoggin' buddy (after my #2 son). I might have to take your suggestion, as there are some pretty good hog fields over in the Shenandoah Valley (lots of kin between Staunton and Lexington).

I called Steiner today and found out the Rallye is a downscale Senator that isn't Nitrogen purged and the lenses have fewer coats - for $400 less, which seems a little odd. Will check back with Hart about their 25x100's, and they now have a 32x125 that sounds Chinese to me...I don't think I want to go that route.

Everybody's comments and suggestions are helpful, and I appreciate it. Will update on the findings later.

dan
Old 05-12-2004, 07:08 AM
Bronze Member

Have you looked at the Leupold and Zeiss binoculars yet. I've got a bunch of them listed on my website. I am still working on typing it all in. I used a pair of rangefinding leupolds a couple weeks ago and they were awsome for prairie dogs and other targets way out there. They also had the best optics I have ever seen in binoculars.
So sportsman guide has the best prices. We'll see about that! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2004, 08:27 PM

m14dan,

Thanks for your reply. Didn't know Leupy made anything in the 20x range, and I can't afford anything that says Zeiss on it - even though they are superb. As for now, the 20x80 Steiner and 20x60 Pentax are leading the pack. Do you carry these?

Everybody,

I'd like to talk to some folks who repair binos about this. Any names and phone #'s that you could share with me?

Thanks....danno
Old 05-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Bronze Member

Danno,
Here is link to a forum that might help you a little more. Just scoll down about half way and there will be topic on Bino's
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthrea...eads.php?Cat=0