Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

SEEKING EXPERIENCES with MID LEVEL RANGEFINDERS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Bronze Member

Re: SEEKING EXPERIENCES with MID LEVEL RANGEFINDERS

To be honest guys my terrapin (PLRF 05) just showed up yesterday so I haven't had a lot of time to play with it. When you order one you put a deposit of half down and they start building it in Switzerland. I guess typical time is around 6 weeks from order until delivery although, my experience was about half that. You make the final payment when PRG ships it overnight FedEx to you.

On soft targets, all I've been able to find so far at real distance were black angus cows that I ranged out a hair past 2000 yrds almost instantly with the first press of the button. I'd say from the time you release the button to the time it registers a range @ 2000 is approx 1 second. 5000 yrds, maybe 2 seconds. I haven't had this thing fail to return a range on anything inside that range yet either. Moving cars, planes,a helicopter, people, cows and a fox.

I have found smaller targets near larger targets and went back and forth to see if it would distinguish between the two and it was flawless. At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, it is everything I hoped for.

It also has a couple of pretty cool functions. It will do slope distance, it will illuminate the reticle, it will do feet, yards, and meters, and it has a fuction that I haven't played with yet that it calls 3D. In 3D it will give you 3 ranges of objecst in the basic line of site of the reticle at the same time. Kind of interesting but outside of military I'm not sure how usefull this fuction will prove to be.

When I spoke with PRG about service on the RF's I was told they were not sure how long it would take as they have never had any that needed service. Kind of hard to believe except they are milspec and appear very solid, also the
people that own them (vectronix) and have had them for many years seam to back this up. I'll play a little more today and see if I can manage more interesting pics.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Bronze Member

I went out today to try and find some long distance ranges on animals and was able to range the farthest animals I could find easily. They were the black angus cows in the pic. I also included a couple of deer I saw today was ranged however they were only 340 yds away.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

To follow go to Terrapin at the PO today--for me on this site--it encapsulates my evolution in photographing through my new Terrapin.