Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scopes to use at Night

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 09:05 PM

Scopes to use at Night

This question does not really apply to long range optics, but what scopes are going to work the best for night hunting varmint's?
I use A 3-9X50mm VXII Leupold, on a model 600 REM, 243. Sweet and short!
But would a Leupold European 3-9X50mm with the 30mm tube larger exit pupil work much better. Price of this scope would be about $419. I do not know the % light transmission on either scope. For the $420 what would work best in your mind. The 30mm does say midrange magnification. Not a problem at night, but it might raise a question in the day any help there please?
Last a Bushnell 10X40 Elite 3200 mildot price $170. Any one yous-ed or seen this scope. I like 10 fixed power with mildot but, when I looked threw the scope at the gun shop, the 3200 elite was not what I thought it would be terms of clarity? I did buy a BSA sweet 17 2-7x32 for $65. great scope for that price.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Gold Member

Re: Scopes to use at Night

You need something with European lenses. I'd recomend a Schmidt & Bender.
but a hunting scope from Zeiss, Swarovski, Kahles, Doctor Optic etc, will do you ok.
Pete
Old 10-26-2005, 01:03 AM
Silver Member

I do a lot of night hunting. By what you listed, I'm not sure if you are ready for the sticker shock?

A 3X12X56 Kahles is about the cheapest, when you say "best" and it isn't cheap, but it is certainly better than any Leupold.

More advice. Do not get any sort of cluttered mildot reticle, or a dot. A simple duplex is the best for night hunting.

Now, for $420 dollars, I think a 3.5X10X40MM Leupold is good value. I used one for several years; I don't know what they cost now, maybe around $400? For sure, do not get a fixed 10X scope, not bright enough.

Good hunting. LB
Old 10-26-2005, 02:50 AM
Gold Member

Actualy a mildot is pretty good for nights. it leads your eye to the centre of the ret. Ive been using a 3-12x50 S&B PMII with a Mildot for about 10 years now for night hunting. is there anything better?
Pete
Old 10-26-2005, 05:09 AM
Platinum Member

I also have found that a Mil-Dot reticle is good for night shooting. The wide bars seem to make correct alignment simple and fast.

The other reticles I've used seemed too light/thin and I spent a good deal of time fighting to see the reticle against the target.

Also for night shooting I try to setup such that I benefit from the conditions... If I'm over a light background field I try to position so that I see the shadow (as lighted by the moon) side of the target (dark silhouette) but if it's a dark background field I setup so I see the lighted side of the target (light silhouette), in essence I setup for the most contrast.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
but what scopes are going to work the best for night hunting varmint's?

[/ QUOTE ]

UNS. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Though it might be a wee bit more expensive then $420. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Gold Member

But i would steer clear of them damn Horus christmas tree reticles at night. ( infact at any time of the day)
Pete