Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scopes to keep, Scopes to junk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Scopes to keep, Scopes to junk?

Hey kc, what did you get? I have a .300 Savage FW myself, was thinking about something compact & lightweight.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I am a believer in you get what you pay for. Also You should look at warranties. Leupold is a FULL Lifetime TRANSFERABLE warranty. Zeiss, swarovski Leica same way. No recipt needed. However not everyone can afford to just go buy one of the above mentioned. However anyone who is buying a decent scope can probably afford a Leupold VX1 So that would be my vote. Maybe burris and nikon are good scopes. No doubt they have worked for a lot of people for a lot of years trouble free. But they usually carry a warranty along the lines of the warranty is only against worsmanship to the origional owner with a recipt. Point being if you smash your Bushnell on a rock you have to buy another one now you have paid for a bushnell what you would have paid for a Leupold plus the inconvenience and frustration. Leupold would have fixed or replaced it no questions asked.
Please add Barska to the junkers list. I have a March 10-60X and it is excellent glass, but the warranty is for just 5 years and is not transferrable. I have purchased used, both Zeiss and Leica spotters, and I can tell you from hard experience they are not transferrable warranties. It cost me $600 to repair the Zeiss. They wanted $900 and I negotiated down.

I have a lot of Bushnell products, but, I no longer buy Bushnell anything. Several years ago, I bought a new 8x binoc with rangefinder, paid $550 for it, and one side would not focus. Returned it to Bushnell, and they said nothing wrong with it. I called their customer service department to protest, but they stuck to their guns and would not repair or replace it. I only get burned once.

"I am a believer in you get what you pay for" Me too.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Bronze Member

Keepers:
Zeiss, Swarovski, a few Leupolds, Schmidt Bender, Hansolt, March, Doctor, Kahles.

Trash: Everything else

If you can't afford a decent scope then wait and save more. Take any of the decent scopes out at dawn/dusk and compare with the others and the difference is immediately obvious.