Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scopes to keep, Scopes to junk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Gold Member

Scopes to keep, Scopes to junk?

I have a Burris I love...no question it is always on and it gets the $#it kicked out of it every Deer season..I am buying another Scope this week..for a .300 Savage Leaver action . What would you buy and what would you not even think of buying.
I am going with a 2X7X40 or a 4x if I can find one.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Scopes to keep, Scopes to junk?

Nothing from Simmons,Tasco, or Bushnell. I know, I know, ''what about the Bushnell elite'' Well if you like em, cool, but theyre still a Bushnell. Sorry.

Inexpensive scopes to keep
Nikon prostaff, Burris ff2, newer Weavers, Redfields, and Leupold VX-I's and VX-II's

Good scopes period cheap or expensive models;
Burris, Nikon, Leupold, Zeiss, etc.

"Holy crap thats expensive!!......" scopes that are still worth what you pay for long range shooting;
Leupold VX-III Leupold Mark-4, Zeiss anything, Swarovski anything.
Then I here great things, but have 0 experience with: Night Force, and U.S. Optics

Well thats how I see it. Your opinion may differ, but my mind is made up

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 09-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

I am a believer in you get what you pay for. Also You should look at warranties. Leupold is a FULL Lifetime TRANSFERABLE warranty. Zeiss, swarovski Leica same way. No recipt needed. However not everyone can afford to just go buy one of the above mentioned. However anyone who is buying a decent scope can probably afford a Leupold VX1 So that would be my vote. Maybe burris and nikon are good scopes. No doubt they have worked for a lot of people for a lot of years trouble free. But they usually carry a warranty along the lines of the warranty is only against worsmanship to the origional owner with a recipt. Point being if you smash your Bushnell on a rock you have to buy another one now you have paid for a bushnell what you would have paid for a Leupold plus the inconvenience and frustration. Leupold would have fixed or replaced it no questions asked.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 09-26-2010, 04:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc View Post
I have a Burris I love...no question it is always on and it gets the $#it kicked out of it every Deer season..I am buying another Scope this week..for a .300 Savage Leaver action . What would you buy and what would you not even think of buying.
I am going with a 2X7X40 or a 4x if I can find one.
My two favorite scopes are Burris and Leupold.

The reason is both scopes are very durable and have good warranties (Even though I have never used the warranty on either.

I like the glass on the Leupolds and the eye relief. for the price they are hard to beat.

The burris's go on all of my hard kicking guns that exceed 60 ft/lbs of recoil because they
are just plain tough. They don't gather the light that the Leupolds do but there is not much
difference.

So if you like the Burris Stay with it because it will stay with you. I also like the posi lock
system that they have and bought a 1.7x5 safari with 4.5 inches of eye relief to put on my
unbraked 416 buffalo in leu of iron sights. The scope tracts perfict and the posi loc nails
it down.

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-27-2010, 07:42 AM
Bronze Member

+1 on all so far rc

Last edited by rhouser; 09-27-2010 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

Don't forget Vortex Vipers as keepers.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Silver Member

CK out Doug at CameralandNy. It looks like he has some Zeiss demos at very good pricing. I have bought two Zeiss demos from him and am very happy with both. I dont see how you could go wrong, they come with full transferable warranty. Bill Maylor..