Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope used the most?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Scope used the most?

Hello

Just for the heck of it, who uses the Leupold scopes for target shooting and also Longrange hunting as compared to any other scope/s?

Next why?

I'll start----- I do

Reason being is, they are the clearest optics other then Unertl I have ever used.

Later
DC
Old 07-28-2003, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope used the most?

All my rifles and my dads rifles have Leupold Scopes. Mine is the only real Target scope, being the new VX2, 6-18, Matte. We sent them all of to get the elevation target knob installed. We use ours for long range varminting/hunting as well as target shooting.

From what I can tell, there the clearest, most rugged, best looking, scope on the market with an affordable price tag. Match it with the Lifetime warranty, even if your not the orginal owner, and you have one hell of a deal.

Leupold fan for life!
Old 07-28-2003, 06:01 AM
Silver Member

I use most leupold ( 3.5/10 for hunting , 24x , 36 X fixed with Premier reticule for BR shooting , original Leupols cross hair is far too fine and dot too small ) 6.5x20 40 mm , 14.5x35 and 18x40 40 mm on Silhouette rifle

for long range I use 4.5x14 LR , 8.5x25 LR

I just get two 16X42 IOR because quality is better than mark IV and price is lower if you compare a 16 X Mark IV with Premier reticule to a NP 8 reticule 16x42 .

average quality of Leupold is very good and repair service/ garanty is outstanding .

just hard to understand why Leupold doesn t make something as 10 to 30 power with 35 mm main tube to get 100 moa in elevation in the aim to beat Night Force .

good shooting

DAN TEC
Old 07-28-2003, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member

Have several Leupolds and very good clarity and optics. Only gripe with them, well several is:

1. Turret adjustments when going up sometimes hang up only 1-3 clicks and do not move until you fire and then "jump" to where they are supposed to be, which means you missed. Cecil Tucker does a conversion ($150) that puts a spring in the bottom of the erector tube like the NF and Burris posi lock. many of the short range BR shooter scopes have this conversion. Other wise if you want to come up 2 clicks, smart thing to do is come up 7 and go down 5. That means it will come up for that many and you have tension coming down, so no jump.

2. Not keeping up with market in terms of reticles and MOA desired. Looked at the IOR 6-24 2 wks ago and clarity is great and the NP8 is same as the NR2 on NF and cheaper. Plus IOR is coming out with a 35mm tube with lots of MOA and higher power. Supposedly they are playing with several options and have not determined what is final configuration, but bet it will be great for LR.

BH
Old 07-28-2003, 02:58 PM
Bronze Member

I own the entire Leupold ranges from VX1 to LPS including Mark 4s. My most favorite is the M8 Series. But I have grown to like the Long Range with 30mm tubes. I also own several Burris Black diamonds and optically they are equal to the Leupold LR and Mark 4. But Leupold is shorter and lighter and more refine. I recently compared my friend's IOR 4-14x50 tactical against my Black diamond 8-32x50 at the shooting range and to I was not impressed with IOR's image quality nor the price. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2003, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

have a cheap bushnell on the AR just for fun, but everything else is a leupold. i figure, if i'm spending money, it might as well be on something worthwhile that i'll never have to worry about again. i've dealt with their customer service before, and its top notch. until they give me a reason not to be happy with them, i am. not saying they're the best or no one else comes close, just that they're quality glass, they work for me, and until something happens to change that, isnt not going to.

-brian
Old 07-28-2003, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

Alllllrighty then, I got a 3.5-10 Leupold on my 708, and for the life of me can't think of a Burris scope that could replace it with a 40mm objective, won't go with higher rings, either, and with all the features the Lupy has, adj. obj., the range finding reticle if that's what it's called, it's the ideal scope for that rifle, of course my varmint rifles all have the Burris glass, and double as target scopes, and no other scope can do better for the money then the Signatures do for varmint hunting. Jay