Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope Tracking/Repeatability test proceedure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Scope Tracking/Repeatability test proceedure

I read a lot of posts that claim their scopes track great. i'm asking what everyone does to actually confirm this. i havn't seen this with many scopes. i'm not much of a believer that you can run a box test shooting 5 bullets and because the last shot went somewhere close to the first, it tracks great. since verticle movement of the POI is what we're mainly concerned with, i shoot 2 groups cranking the turret 20 moa in between each shot. this can also confirm it's ability to return to zero, if it's tracking the distance it's supposed to, if it's tracking vertically, and of course if it repeats. yesterday i did this with a Viper 6-20 and it didn't exactly pass with flying colors. the gun i used will rarely shoot over 3/4 at 100, 1" is about the largest group it will shoot. the upper group, the 20 moa high group was a bit over 2" and the distance the 2 groups were apart was about 23". my calculations tell me the groups should be about 21" apart so we're not moving the amount we should. in round numbers, this would put us about 20" high at 1k.
i have one Luppy that tracks very well, of course i had to have it "Tuckerized" to accomplish this, and a Sightron. other than that, every scope i've tested, that i own, won't track very well.
would love to hear from those with the new vx3's and PST's if they've actually given their scope an indepth test to confirm how well it "tracks"
i don't need to hear from the Nightforce owners, we all know their tracking/repeatability is one of the features that makes them a great scope!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: Scope Tracking/Repeatability test proceedure

Check this out; Setting Up Your Long Range Scope
Old 01-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

This is a little off subject, and I really am not trying to hyjack your post, but wondering what you think of this:

been thinkin of having someone build a fairly heavy, dead solid scope mounting fixture.......something that we can mount a scope in, set on a solid bench, and dial the knobs while viewing the target (target with grid or inch marks on it). Of course, the scope itself would have to remain dead steady, with only the internals moving.

This would eliminate the factor of shooter error or precision/accuracy of the rifle. If we're shooting 1" groups at 100, then there is quite a bit of room for error in our interpretation of "how far did the reticle really move".........just an idea, any thoughts?
Old 01-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Been using this How to Optically Check a Rifle Scope and works pretty darn good when the rifle is held in a vice.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Mine don't always track the advertised .25 MOA. Once I determine what fraction they do I use that number and forget about it.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Gold Member

Funny you would post this poser today. Last night I had the idea of using the
burris pepr mount with the additional picatinny on top. Mount a second scope to it
and zero them both to the same spot. Then in a lead sled or tipton vise run the box
test with the lower scope, being able to always look at the top scope for your original
zero. No rounds necessary, you can do it in your living room looking out a window if
you so chose. Takes all the shooting or group error out of the test as well.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

Padd54, that is the technique i've basically used for the last few years. find out if it will return to zero and repeat. then see where the turrets need to be set to hit at different distances. if it repeats, it doesn't matter how much it moves.

Bravo4, that system would be OK to see if the scope could be tossed before even shooting, but i'm going to test the scope on the rifle to find out if it will function with repeated recoil. same with any fixtures that hold the scope. they don't deal with recoil.

i'm going to contact Vortex and see what they say.