Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope with target turrets or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 04:40 PM

Scope with target turrets or not?

I recently started varmint hunting last year. I shot a groundhog a 400 yds with a bushnell banner 4-12x40. I was wondering about the adjustments for elevations. Alot of people like the scopes with tall target turrets. Could I not dial in just as good with the regular fingertip ones? Whats the advantage of target turrets, are they just easier to dial in. The longest shot I have to shoot at is alsmost 600 yds. And I really aint wanting to buy me another scope right yet. Anybody have any comments.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:14 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Scope with target turrets or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aglass1987 View Post
I recently started varmint hunting last year. I shot a groundhog a 400 yds with a bushnell banner 4-12x40. I was wondering about the adjustments for elevations. Alot of people like the scopes with tall target turrets. Could I not dial in just as good with the regular fingertip ones? Whats the advantage of target turrets, are they just easier to dial in. The longest shot I have to shoot at is alsmost 600 yds. And I really aint wanting to buy me another scope right yet. Anybody have any comments.
First off, welcome to LRH!

There is nothing wrong with using shorter turrets.
If it works for you-great.
Can you zero your turrets?
How are they marked?

SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...t-by-sam-hall/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCsyjQr0Yrc

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no.........they're awake!""
Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: Scope with target turrets or not?

The problem with fingertip turrets is you have to remeber how many clicks you've turned them, where as with the target turrets most have marks for indexing how many clicks you have turned up or down and if you have zero stops you only have to turn them back till they stop.