Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope suggestions needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Scope suggestions needed.

Scope Base Height + Ring Height - Overall Objective Diameter/ 2
if the number is positive it should work.

This formula will get you close but it doesn't take into account the contour of the barrel. So use at your own risk.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Platinum Member

If you go with a 42-44 scope or smaller, low rings will generally work. If you go with a 50mm scope, medium rings will work. Some of the one piece rails are higher than others, this can affect clearance. But on a bolt gun you should not need more than a medium ring for a 50mm objective. The high and extra high rings are usually for AR's. Every one of my barrels is a varmint contour.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:31 AM

Thank you all for your input. I have decided to get a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 x 44 scope w/ 30mm tube, 0 MOA Evolution Gun Works picatinny rail scope mount, & Vortex Precision Matched Riflescope Rings in the low height configuration.
I'm hoping I picked the correct ring height for my rifle setup. After putting in all the values in the scope clearance equation I came up with a positive 0.315". I went over my budget and spent $522 for all of the above from OpticsPlanet.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:23 PM

i love my sightron siii lrh 8-32x56
Old 05-21-2013, 08:27 PM

I got my Vortex scope, rings, and EGW (0 MOA) picatinny rail scope mount today for my Savage model 11 and everything looked good, but the holes for the picatinny rail do not line up with the ones on my savage SA receiver. I believe the problem is with the Savage screw spacing, since the Evolution Gun Works rail specs out to what is listed on their website. They list the two middle holes center to center distance of 3.925" and my rifle has 3.943" spacing, which is longer by 0.018".
My rifle came with two piece weaver style mounts when I bought it, which will work, but I wanted to use the one piece picatinny rail for more flexibility for scope positioning and for the added support this design adds, now that I have a 26" varmint contour SS barrel attached to the action.
My rifle is still within the 1-year warranty period, do you think Savage will send me a new receiver with the proper screw hole spacing? If they will they'll probably have to send to my FFL dealer, since the rifle s/n is on this part.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Adjusting the holes on the base would cost about $30-60 at most at your local gunsmith. It will probably cost more than that to send the rifle back to Savage.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Adjusting the holes on the base would cost about $30-60 at most at your local gunsmith. It will probably cost more than that to send the rifle back to Savage.
I called Savage and they said they would pay for shipping the rifle back for service, but it will take about 3 weeks for the repair. :-(
I'm not sure if it matters to Savage, but I have now switched out the factory stock for a Choate Tactical stock and have also changed out the barrel to a Shilen 26" varmint contour barrel. The only thing that is original is the action and trigger assembly. Do you think that this will void my warranty? I could put the the original parts back on before I send it in for service if its going to be a problem.