Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope Selection for new LR Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Gold Member
Scope Selection for new LR Rifle

Guys, I'm very very new to the concept of Long Range Shooting and need some advice. I have a 300 Win being restocked and accurized and I need to decide on a scope for this. I have been set all along on getting a VX-III in 4.5X14X40 (1-inch tube) with the BC reticle to keep it lightweight and simple. But the more I read on this sight, everyone seems to be using turret adjustments rather than relying on the range compensating reticle. I have lately thought about getting this same scope but in the long range model, with the 30 mm tube so I could at least add adjustable turrets to it later as my experience grows. My initial thought with this was to have a 500 yard rifle, which I think either of these scopes would handle, but it seems most people outgrow this in time. I really need some good solid advice on this. :eek:

Unread 02-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Silver Member
there are just to may variables to those reticals you are smarter to go with the long range version with turrits or send one in to leupold custom shop and haveing them installed. the other thing that you will want to consider is that with the long range version you will have side focus instead of a AO on the 1" tube. you will be doing most of your shooting in the prone position and it sucks to use an AO. next is that you may say it now that you will only be shooting to 500yards. once you reach that you will want to go forther, with the retical you cant, with the turrits you can. good luck.
Unread 02-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member
IMO the scope is just as important as the rifle. If you are thinking of serious long range shooting in the future you really need a scope thatís made to adjust to each shot situation accurately. Iím in the process of having a rifle built that will be a dedicated long range elk rifle and am putting the best scope my budget will allow. I have actually put a few things on hold so I could up the quality of the scope. I researched for months so have an idea of what you are going through. Hope this helps somewhat

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Unread 02-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Silver Member
The Leupold scopes are pretty good kit for basic hunting, but you will find that for true long range work repeatable turrets are a far better way to go. The precalculated reticles are not precise enough to count on, they can not adjust for changes in bullet, velocity, elevation or weather conditions.
Turrets are used to make far more precise adjustments than the 1/4 minute of deer that the precaculated retciles are capable of.
Personally a mildot is far too much math for me, why anyone would make a scope with milradian reticle and moa turrets escapes me.
I know it is likely more $$ than you planned for but take a look at Nightforces NXS scope line with MOA reticles, they are very user friendly and will last a lifetime without having to upgrade when you get bored with 500 yards.
The 300 is easily capable to 1000 yards and beyond and once the LR virus get ahold of you, 500 yards will be boring.
Long Distance is BETTER than being there
Unread 02-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member
My tho'ts are that a 1/4min click is more accurate that attempting to discern a tenth of a mil or a tenth of a moa.

The problem is that clicking takes time and sometimes the time just isn't there. But it usually is, well most times, once in awhile I think.;)
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!
Unread 02-08-2008, 12:58 AM
Silver Member
I have a few of the 4.5-14x40 Leupold Long Range scopes. I would say get one. They are wonderful. You can always have a custom reticle made or add turrets later. I thing you will really like it.
Unread 02-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Gold Member
You can use the B&C reticle with turrets so if you like it get it. vx-3's have excellent glass for the money. It doesn't matter what reticule you have if your clicking up or down as long as it has cross hairs it will work.