Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

scope selection : 7mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 02:05 AM

scope selection : 7mm

Greetings

I'm new to the forum and new, in some ways, to hunting. I will search for relevant threads soon but for now I'd like some advice on scope selection.

I've read much info about scope specifics from various resources and I plan to read a lot more.

I recently purchased a Winchester 70 in 7mm rem mag. The rifle came with Leupold bases and high rings but let the prev owner keep the Simmons Whitetail 6.5-20x50 that was on it because I want to choose my own scope.

I cannot afford a high end scope at this time. I want quality but funds limit me to approx $300 for this buy, might be able to push that some. Can any of you experienced hunters offer up quality glass in that price range that have a proven track record and that are adequate for the range/recoil of the 7mm mag?

Hunting with this rifle will take place primarily in North Texas for now, where the terrain is relatively flat with a lot of open areas and medium thick brush.

I appreciate any advice

----------------------------------------
edit : I know Leupold and Burris are two of the top name brands out there and I also know that even they can have their flaws and sometimes quality can slip behind a proven name. I also know there are a TON of different options as far scope power, objective lense preferances (I'm leaning toward a 50mm), etc but the bottom line as I can gather is just getting out and shooting through a scope until you're comfortable with what its capable of and then perhaps move to a different model/power.

This will be the first scope I choose for myself (I will mount and zero in the scope myself) and it doesn't have to be the perfect scope right now, but simply a proven (bargain) performer on a gun as similarly capable as mine as far as range and recoil are concerned. I'll upgrade later as funds permit.

Last edited by Zodiac; 12-03-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:54 AM
Bronze Member

Re: scope selection : 7mm

No optics expert here but have had good luck with a Bushnell elite 4200 2-10X40, and have a Burris FFll that is a good clear scope. While I have no experience with them have heard good things about the Vipers. And for 399 you can get a 3-9 Zeiss Conquest.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamphunter View Post
No optics expert here but have had good luck with a Bushnell elite 4200 2-10X40, and have a Burris FFll that is a good clear scope. While I have no experience with them have heard good things about the Vipers. And for 399 you can get a 3-9 Zeiss Conquest.
Thanks, I've heard good things about the Bushnell Elit 4200. Not so much about their cheaper scopes. I've also heard/read good things about Vipers. $399 is pushing the budget but it might be doable if I don't eat this month. I'll check out the Zeiss Conquest.

I have a brand new Redfield 3-9x40 in the box that I got in a trade but was thinking that might be better suited for the Ruger 10/22 I'm getting.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Don't settle. I've shot a 7mm Rem Mag for 30+ years. The first 10+ years, I used a $39 Bushnell Banner and it was FAR worse than your Redfield. I took many nice Muley's with that cheap scope, including a 34.5" Buck at 875yds.

I'd say, put the redfield on there and see what the rifle will do. Set a little $$ aside for a few months and get THE scope you want. I currently use a Leupold 4.5x14x40 on the 7mm.

I like the lowest mounts possible, as it helps me maintain consistent form, that's why I don't use the larger objective scopes on my walk/stalk rifles.

Hope this helps,

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 12-03-2011, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Incase you settle on a 30mm tube scope which will probably give you more elevation adjustment then a 1". This is how I mounted mine:

Vortex Viper PST mounted with pics. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseph
Old 12-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

The best scope for the least money will be fixed magnification.

A Weaver Classic K6 will bring you in well under $300, and the glass is Japanese. Optical Light Works makes these scope, also Bushnell Elite, Sightron SII, Vor-Tex, etc.

A Weaver Classic V would be my choice in a variable for around $300.

The V16 4-16x42 has a small eyebell and can be mounted low and clear the bolt. There are several reticles available. It is on my varmint rifle and gets lots of use. It has AO for close-in shots. It has semi-target turrets which are a cross between target turrets and hunting turrets. Tracks very well.

Burris scopes are bright and clear at all price levels. I use several of those as well.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
Don't settle. I've shot a 7mm Rem Mag for 30+ years. The first 10+ years, I used a $39 Bushnell Banner and it was FAR worse than your Redfield. I took many nice Muley's with that cheap scope, including a 34.5" Buck at 875yds.

I'd say, put the redfield on there and see what the rifle will do. Set a little $$ aside for a few months and get THE scope you want. I currently use a Leupold 4.5x14x40 on the 7mm.

I like the lowest mounts possible, as it helps me maintain consistent form, that's why I don't use the larger objective scopes on my walk/stalk rifles.

Hope this helps,

AJ
Thank you AJ

875 yards. Nice.

I might go ahead and mount the Redfield up , at least for now, to see how it does. Its just sitting in the box at the moment. I'll have to get lower rings for it.