Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope rings: steel vs aluminum vs alloy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 01:36 PM

Scope rings: steel vs aluminum vs alloy

Does anyone have a preference of scope ring material, namely steel vs aluminum or some of the alloy rings. I'm getting ready to order some quality rings and a base, either Seekins, Badger or Ken Farrell (matched base and rings). My scope weighs 35 ozs. and I'm shooting a 7mm rem mag without a muzzel brake. I would like to reduce my weight but not at the sacrifice of strength and long life of rings and scope. Any opinions?

Klee
Old 03-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Gold Member

Re: Scope rings: steel vs aluminum vs alloy

Klee, I have been using TPS Aluminum rings and really like them. You can take a look at them at the LRH Gear Shop. On my 300 RUM, I have a set of these along with the Aluminum one piece 20 MOA base and no issues whatsoever. My rings on this are low, and I would suggest the extra low if you went in that direction. On another, I have a Ken Farrel 20 MOA steel base and have been using the same TPS rings but they don't line up as good as far as the overall height is concerned. The Farrel base is very nice, but it is on the taller side. Haven't tried the Farrel rings with it, but would imagine that they would be much lower to line up correctly. My plan is to change the Farrel base for another TPS so I can keep both of these guns the same or very similiar.

Another option I've heard spoken of is the EGW base and Burris signature and XTR rings. A lot of guys like them as well but I haven't tried them yet.

You will get other opinions on this and of the steel rings. I would assume that they are stronger, but not sure how much. I chose aluminum for the weight savings and have seen any reason to deviate from this. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

I use the 4 screw 7075 alloy rings for everything from sporters to competition rifles. Light and tough.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

You may want to check out the NF Ultralite Rings available in 5 heights from .885 to 1.375 along with their steel bases.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Silver Member

I use the steel 20moa base and steel rings from TPS. I guess I am willing to live with the extra weight when I know that those steel mounts will be there.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Try the titaniums ...

MurphyPrecision.com - Scope Bases, Rings, and Assorted Shooting Accessories.

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Platinum Member

Feenix, I went to Murphy's and on scope rings it says products coming soon. Are they refering to web page being updated w/pic and info soon or do the rings actually not exist yet?