Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope Rings - NF or Seekins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Gold Member

Scope Rings - NF or Seekins

Getting ready to install a Nightforce ATACR onto a new rifle, and was wondering if anybody has any opinions/experience with the NF ultralight Rings vs Seekins Precision Rings.

I'm sure both brands are high quality, my main hold up with the NF ultralight rings is the large bolt/nut that protrudes out to the side. Seems like that is just asking to get hung up on clothing, backpack, etc. But the rest of the NF body is all around a lower profile compared to the Seekins...

Thoughts?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 PM

Re: Scope Rings - NF or Seekins

I have never used NF ultra lites but have multiple seekins rings. Seekins 4/4 are 3/4" wide and the 6/4 are about 1" on the 6 screw. Seekins are extremely strong and solid. I am sure the NF are good as well but I don't think the foot print on your scope will be as large. Seekins are just great products.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

I have both and the NF I run towards my body in a front carry and have not had problem.I like the look of the Seekin,I have the Leo mark 4 to which looks just like seeking.There all good
Old 05-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Silver Member

Not to answer a question with a question but...

You are worried about those puny bolts with those giant high traction Nightforce turrets sticking out?
Those things grab everything dude!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-man View Post
Not to answer a question with a question but...

You are worried about those puny bolts with those giant high traction Nightforce turrets sticking out?
Those things grab everything dude!
Heh, guess I really hadn't thought of it that way.

So then let me re-phrase my original question ... if you had to choose between NF or Seekins, what would you choose and why?

The reason I ask is with the whole gun industry craziness and everything on backorder, I had ordered a set of seekins and a set of NF rings several months ago. I figured whichever came first I would use, and as luck would have it they both showed up literally on the same day.

The NF are the 6-hole style (wider footprint) and the seekins are 6/4 style (front ring is 6 hole, rear ring is 4 hole).

So I have to choose and can't make up my mind. They are both very nice, high precision, well made rings.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

You might want the wider for a hard kicker.But I have had no problem on a 8 3/4 # 338 Norma setup with 4 hole Mark 4 ring.I actually kind or like the large nut for simplicty and easy torque when mounting.If you mounted often as smiths do for testing the NF would be easier
Old 05-23-2013, 11:25 AM
Silver Member

Seekins all the way.
Broughton fluted 5.75, 5c @ 28"
Graphite Black Cerakote
Jewell Trigger
GreyBull Precision Stock
180VLD's@3145fps. with 72.8grs. of H1000, 215m primer