Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope-Ring question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Silver Member

Scope-Ring question?

Ok sorry for all the questions but here's another! I ordered a WOTAC 4-14x50 scope with TPS Low rings and a 20 moa weaver base. My question is with the Low rings and the 50mm objective will it clear the barrel? The rings should be a bit higher with the base right will that help? I asked SWFA and they said "couldn't determine without the setup in front of them". I can send the rings back IF I don't mount them they said, so I don't know what to do....I need some help please! Thank you!
Old 09-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Gold Member

Re: Scope-Ring question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenY 2013 View Post
Ok sorry for all the questions but here's another! I ordered a WOTAC 4-14x50 scope with TPS Low rings and a 20 moa weaver base. My question is with the Low rings and the 50mm objective will it clear the barrel? The rings should be a bit higher with the base right will that help? I asked SWFA and they said "couldn't determine without the setup in front of them". I can send the rings back IF I don't mount them they said, so I don't know what to do....I need some help please! Thank you!
Rain barrel or oil barrel? It would help to know all the info. I use duck tape, and cardboard under the scope to shim it to the height I like. Measure and then order rings. Takes 1/2 hour but I get exactly what fits me this way.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Rain barrel or oil barrel?.
??? sorry still pretty new at this! The barrel is not a bull barrel it is a sporter type I think. Still factory stevens barrel. Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Gold Member

The clearance off the rifle just determines the minimum ring height. What's important is that your eye lines up with the scope with your face comfortably laying against the stock for a good cheek weld.
No one can tell you what rings YOU need since they don't have your face handy to measure. Putting the scope closer to the rifle is not necessarily better. Scope height affects point blank range, canting sensitivity, and several other things

Since you've already ordered the parts wait till you get them and see if you screwed up. Most people find a way to hold the scope in place to determine what's right. I bought several sets of cheap Chinese aluminum rings just to hold scopes when testing for the right height. Cardboard and tape will work if the scope doesn't fall off and lands on the floor. Dropping kills many more scopes than recoil.

Last edited by LouBoyd; 10-01-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Silver Member

Ok well I'm hoping it will clear the barrel or I guess I screwwed up!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:18 AM

Most scope and ring web sites have the dimensions for there products,all it takes is a little math and you can figure out what you need to order
Old 10-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

Everything came in today and it does all fit with plenty of room left over, thanks for all the help! Gotta bed the rifle and get everything mounted then I'll be showin pics of this beast