Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Scope ring advice for new Savage hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Bronze Member

Scope ring advice for new Savage hunter

Just got in a new Savage Predator Hunter in 22-250. It came with weaver bases. Going to be mounting a Leupold Firedot VXR in 3x9x40mm. I'm wondering if I should just mount scope rings and be done with it or if there might be a better option? Want to keep it low so not sure if a one piece rail would be a good idea or not. Not much recoil on this rifle so I'm guessing "killer" rings aren't necessary? Hoping this will be my "go to" coyote rifle. Thanks guys,
Arizona Mike
Old 07-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Scope ring advice for new Savage hunter

Burris signature zee rings with inserts!

Scopes - rings by Burris Optics

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Bronze Member

Hey, thanks for the tip on the Burris rings. I checked it out online and the inserts seem like a good idea and should eliminate some work with lapping, etc. Using the inserts instead of the scope adjustment on initial sighting seems like a good idea too. I'm just wondering if over time as the inserts compress how much that is going to change things....seems like there is potential for this. Have you found any changes occuring in the scope(s) you have tried these on? How long have you had the inserts in? Thanks!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

Never had any problem with them over time ... if you're concern about wear and tear, you can buy just the inserts too (1 Signature Ring Pos-Align Offset Inserts Installation Kit .005 .010 .020).

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:06 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I highly recommend Signature rings for your rifle. It's not uncommon for Savage rifles to have the barrel mis-aligned with the receiver. Signature rings will correct that problem.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 07-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Bronze Member

OK, Burris signature zee rings it is! Burris does not offer the 30mm rigns in a "low" so I am hoping the mediums are not too high, my objective is not all that big. Lots of shooters seem to be recommending these, thanks to all who recommended them, I didn't know they existed. I'm not too excited about the possibility of a misaligned barrel/receiver though. I am wondering how this occurs. Seems like if the receiver is squared up true (a simple manufacturing process) and the barrel threads are trued up, everything should mate up straight and true. Does anyone have any insight how misalignment on a Savage occurs?
Old 07-20-2012, 01:26 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

In high volume rifle production, the receiver probably moves from one CNC machine to another. With multiple operators on multiple shifts, the tooling can get off. Savage knows the alignment tolerance can be loose and the rifle will still shoot fine. If the misalignment is up or down, the customer will never know.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent